Thread: Question on total timing advance

Avenger 1975
    I've read here that for my stock 455 Olds I should run 34 degrees total timing, and to get this I find out the total advance in the distributor, multiply by 2, and set the timing at idle at the difference between that number and 34.
    How do I find out the total timing in the distributor, is it stamped on it somewhere? Is the 34 degrees correct?
    Thanks for any help!

carreraboat
    run the engine up to about 3500 rom to make sure all advances are out use and adjustable timming light set the timming light to 34 deg line up the hash mark on the balancer to the 0 degree mark on the tab then wham o you are at 34 total advace

Taylorman
    I've read here that for my stock 455 Olds I should run 34 degrees total timing, and to get this I find out the total advance in the distributor, multiply by 2, and set the timing at idle at the difference between that number and 34.
    How do I find out the total timing in the distributor, is it stamped on it somewhere? Is the 34 degrees correct?
    Thanks for any help!
    What kind of distributor do you have?

Avenger 1975
    I'll get the distributor details later today, I'm ashamed to say I don't know what it is. I just have a regular timing light and would rather not have to buy an adjustable one unless I have to.

Cas
    You need a timing light with a timing offset built-in to check and set the total advance. These are usually a few bucks more than the regular light but they do a lot more. To find and set the total advance, all you need to do is set the dial on your timing light to 34. Now rev your engine to about 3,500 RPM (to insure that the mechanical weights are fully activated) and watch your timing mark on the harmonic balancer. When it reads "0", (yet the light is set at 34), you have a total advance of 34 degrees. Make sure you do this with your vacuum advance NOT hooked-up. If you don't run a vacuum advance, then don't do anything, just leave everything as it is. If it reads higher or lower on the balancer, simply move your distributor until the timing mark is at "0". Your engine isn't really at "0" or Top Dead Center. The timing light is offsetting the light beam by 34 degrees (if its set at 34 degrees) so you should be reading "0" on the crank. The total advance will change if you replace your distributor or install an advance curve kit, so alway check it and KNOW where your timing is at, it's REAL important.
    A correctly timed engine produces the most horsepower. An engine with timing too late (retarded) will have a low idle vacuum, have slow throttle response, feel like a turd at low RPMs and will run hotter than normal. An engine with the timing too soon (advanced) will have a high and erratic vacuum signal, might have a snappy throttle response but not pull very well under a load, it will have pre-ignition (detonation) problems, sometimes called "pinging", which will certainly lead to either a blown head gasket and/or serious piston damage and it will idle rough, like it has a bigger cam than it actually does. Keep this in mind too, once you set your timing and you don't physically move the distributor, the timing will pretty much never go out. The first thing people do (who have no clue what the hell they're doing) when their engine starts running funny, is start twisting the distributor around and screwing with the timing. The timing will NOT affect any ONE particular cylinder. It can ONLY affect ALL of them at once, so if you have a back fire or a missfire or a dead cylinder, there is no need to start messing around with the timing. Again, if you don't move it, it'll stay set pretty much forever

Sleek-Jet
    If you don't have an adjustable timing light, go buy a timing tape to put on the dampener... They are usually graduated up to 45* or so, and they usually come in a package that has several different lengths to fit different diameter dampeners. A speed shop should have them, and you should be able to order them through Car Quest, Advanced Auto Parts ect... and if all else fails, Summit and Jegs has them.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Keep it at 30-32 degrees and the motor will live!!!! I had mine at 30 degrees and she ran bitchin. Remember if something happens with your fuel @ 36 degrees of timming.......Its Bye Bye motor!

Avenger 1975
    There's a bunch of timing lights for sale on Ebay, I'll bid on one with timing advance offset and see if I can buy one in the next few days without paying too much for it.
    So you recommend 30-32 degrees rather than 34. I'm curious to see what I was running it at with current timing, it ran great last fall.

Taylorman
    I have mine set at 32* and it runs great.