Thread: 5W VHF Marine Radio enough power

ThongMagnet
    I just bought two radios with 5 watts. How far will they transmit. :idea:

Boa1277
    Maybe 20 miles

BajaMike
    I just bought two radios with 5 watts. How far will they transmit. :idea:
    It mostly depends on the antenae....is it a hand held or boat mounted?

uvindex
    It mostly depends on the antenae....is it a hand held or boat mounted?Since they're 5W, they're probably handhelds (fixed mounts are 25W).
    I just bought two radios with 5 watts. How far will they transmit.According to BoatUS, you'll get maybe five miles from 5W handhelds (25 miles or more, depending on antenna height, from a 25W radio). VHF is line of sight so any obstructions will decrease your range. Have fun!

phebus
    A handheld VHF radio (5w) should be good for send/receive distances of 5 miles. Not to say you couldn't get more range, but that is what the manufacturer's claims are.

me4drvr
    If you use 5W in havasu, you should get about 2-3mi or so just because the line of site is so curved. I have a 25W on my old boat and could get from bout mid river (between parker dam and the marina) to the Marina, and that was a stretch. But if you hail on Channel 16, I believe it goes through a repeater for emergencies. We use 5w Motorolas for work here and get 2mi on a good day.

Not very far. If they performed as well as the manufacturers say the do it would be great! They are more for local, close in stuff. I have used mine between two morothomes and they were just about line of sight.
    Steve

ThongMagnet
    I bought the Midland handheld. I wanted them mostly for use when I'm launching and recovery (tow rig to boat), or when with other boats. I bought two with battery chargers. Sounds like they will do the job. Nice to know there are repeater on the lakes. Do I need a license to operate them?

phebus
    No license required. Used to need one, but not now.