Thread: San Marcos Tx, the next hotspot??

al cole'holic
    I met with a developer on Thursday who purchased 500 acres I guess around some huge outlet mall there in the middle of nowhere, well after meeting with all planning commissions and civic people his ball is set in motion for a 3000 home development with 50 acres of commercial/retail/restaurants. Apparantely a Canadian development company has acquired 700 acres adjacent. I already had plans in the works for Pasadena Texas. Any thoughts here..?

Liberator TJ1984
    San Marcos ain't in the middle of Nowhere dude :jawdrop: that area is growing so fast it's unreal to try and fathom where it's going you used to be able to see the State Capital at night in nearby Austin but it has grown so much there are alot bigger buildings hiding it now
    look here> http://www.ci.san-marcos.tx.us/

al cole'holic
    San Marcos ain't in the middle of Nowhere dude :jawdrop: that area is growing so fast it's unreal to try and fathom where it's going you used to be able to see the State Capital at night in nearby Austin but it has grown so much there are alot bigger buildings hiding it now
    ...was more under the impression that the Outlets are in the middle of nowhere than the actual city of San Marcos. It's 30-40 miles outside of Austin right??

Havasu1986
    ...was more under the impression that the Outlets are in the middle of nowhere than the actual city of San Marcos. It's 30-40 miles outside of Austin right??
    31.2 miles up highway 35.

Old Texan
    That Outlet Mall is probably one of the busiest in the nation. Lots of folks coming up from Mexico for years and the location is half way between San Antonio and Austin. This is and has been one of the fastest growing places in the nation for the last 20 years.
    I-35 is a parking lot day and night. Metro San Antonio has all but absorbed New Braunfels up to San Marcos and Austin is just a tad slower moving south.
    The TX Hill Country has been growing almost out of control for the past 20+ years and shows no signs of slowing. Toyota just last year opened a new plant on the south side of SA and even more growth will spurt from this. The Guadalupe River and Canyon Lake, 2 great vacation spots are being overwhelmed by the year round residents. It's sad realy as these 2 places made for some great summer camping, tubing, and boating. Now it's becoming so crowded you can't move.
    My daughter went to college in San Marcos 10 years ago and the growth since then is unbelievable. Austin with Intel and Dell computor has grown widely. Still plenty of open property but it is becoming a huge rat race and the lakes are full of boats and people.
    No comparison between The Hill Country and Pasadena. Pasadena is part of the nation's largest petrochem complex and pretty funky. Central TX is clean, hot, and the desirable spot to live as evidenced by the people flocking there. With the job market helping the Hill Country is booming.

R.A.D.man
    The outlet mall complex is on Interstate 35. Lots of traffic for the stores, but I don't personally see the market for that kind of housing development there unless San Marcos has the jobs for it and it might. Austin and SanAntonio have the better job markets and lots of housing development. I don't see people moving to San Marcos while working in Austin and San Antonio, too far and better local choices, commuting, heavy traffic and high gas prices don't mix that well. If the research has the buyers living and working locally, then I'm think it will succeed. If they count on the Austin and San Antonio home buyer, I would be hesitant. San Marcos has been growing alot in the last 10 years. It was kinda sleepy up until then. The Texas State University has a large enrollment (20-30K), but I think the majority of graduates leave for jobs. One more thing, find out about the water supply. Is it from Canyon Lake or from the Edwards Aquifer. If it's the Edwards Aquifer, that could be a big hurdle, I bet there will be a pretty good opposition to it locally due to the fact that that aquifer is already stressed and very much protected by the Edwards Aquifer Authority. If it is Canyon Lake, that would be better.

rrrr
    No comparison between The Hill Country and Pasadena. Pasadena is part of the nation's largest petrochem complex and pretty funky. Central TX is clean, hot, and the desirable spot to live as evidenced by the people flocking there. With the job market helping the Hill Country is booming.
    Reminds me of the old joke......"My girlfriend asked me to kiss her where it stinks so I drove her to Pasadena".......

DelawareDave
    I just got home from San Marcos on Wednesday. I went to see my daughter graduate from Texas State 8-10-07. What a traffic nightmare it is. No way would I ever think of relocating there.