Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do ya still bust out great meals your mom made?

fat rat
    I make my mom's spaghetti sauce. She's 74 and I think she still is better than me at it.
    Ditto............and she (my Mom) got her recipe from my grandmother.........good stuff!

MRS FLYIN VEE
    from Oklahoma mama meals..
    Chicken N Dumplins
    Shiat on the Shingle
    Fried Pork Chops
    Country Gravy.

BadKachina
    I make my mom's spaghetti sauce. She's 74 and I think she still is better than me at it.
    So should we get you guys a couple of cook books for a wedding present or gift certificates to Pappadeaux's??????????:idea:

Schiada76
    My mom made the baddest Kosher Dill pickles on the planet.
    My friends would come over and ask if I was home when they knew I wasn't ask for me and my mom would jut laugh and say "you want a pickle don't you? Yes they did.
    This started when I was about 10 years old.
    A few years later a friend of mine that drove limos for a living called me and told me he was at the Playboy mansion the night before and was at the buffet when one of the bunnies was going on and on about an old boyfriend who's mom made the best pickles on earth, he turned to her and said "Mr's Pearson's pickles?" He said she about chit and kept asking him him how the fck did you know that?
    Mom LOVES that story!
    I can't make the damn things nearly as well.

Mandelon
    I don't think my Mom (bless her soul) had any great recipes. She was raised by depression era parents who could make two miles of wire out of a penny.
    I mostly remember the meals she made that I detested.
    Steamed pork chops with rice and stewed tomatoes. No flavor, all mushy, tough meat. blech.
    Hamburger Biscuit Bake. I think this recipe is still on the side of the Bisquick box. Its got the biscuit stuff, and she would mix in about three tablespoons of hamburger and a blob of sweet pickle relish. If you hit a vein of burger meat it was pure luck.
    She made these broiled eggplant slices, and some weird curry thing with stew meat.
    I think she tried to feed us on 90 cents a day.....:sqeyes:
    The occasional pot roast was good eats, but the best meals were on the weekends when Dad manned the old bbq in the back yard. He had great marinades. Ribs, chicken, and those giant chuck roasts. He'd put them in the marinade on thursday and cook on saturday night or sunday. I'd eat till I could barely walk.

HighRoller
    My Mom was a legendary cook. We have pictures of the kids at Havasu lined up at the back of our camper waiting for one of her breakfast biscuits. The beer biscuits were awesome as well. The first time my fiancee (now wife) had the chocolate tort she told me she wanted to climb into the pan and stick her face in it!!
    Her potato salad was so good I can hardly bear to eat generic stuff. I fought tooth and nail to get her recipe book back from my Dad now that he is getting re-married. I did so and my wife and I are going to make a tribute cookbook in her memory. She was very proud of her cooking, as was I. On our recent trip to Shasta we had a "Breakfast Biscuit" clinic one morning due to the demand for them. I feel sorry for kids today whose mothers think a microwave dinner is home cooking. We literally fought over the leftovers in our house because the dishes were so good. We were blessed...
    We are hosting our first Thanksgiving this year and several of her dishes and appetizers will be on the schedule. They still get rave reviews to this day even with me making them!!

Itsahobby
    We must be related:idea:
    How about Gumerslot (SP)? Cucumbers and sourcream a good German beer and you were sleeping alone that night:devil: :jawdrop:
    My mom makes Greman Potato pancakes you would not believe.....add a little applesauce, bratwurst, sourkraut, and red cabbage?? Food of the Gods, folks, food of the Gods....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12