Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford F450.. My review

Magic34
    I am buying a new truck, and before doing so, I wanted to drive a F450 to double check my decision on getting a bigger truck.
    I currently own a 2006 Chevrolet 3500 LBZ Duramax 4x4 dually.
    So, one arrived at my house on Friday afternoon to go drive for a little bit. Here is what I thought if anyone is interested. It was a Lariat 4x4 with everything except Nav, and 4.88 gears.
    Before going anywhere, we sat in it for a while. The interior is nice, but not as plush as the Chevy. The back seat does have more room than my Chevy, actually by at least 6 inches for leg room. There are some cool features. The power extending mirrors are the shiat, and they fold in also, a feature my Chevy really needs. There is a power rear sliding window, which is another great feature if you are like me a limo tint everything. My wife would love that for backing the trailer up at the launch ramp. The upgraded stereo they put in it is decent for one from the factory, little bit of bumps in there.
    The motor is very quiet and doesnÂ’t shake the truck. And the truck has an amazing turning radius.
    So I back it out of my driveway and head for the freeway. The truck is very stiff, as it should be, but not as smooth as I was expecting. We went over a bump, and I had my seatbelt on and my ass still left the seat.
    Now for the power, I floored it a few times: from a dead stop, to rolling start, then 25 MPH and hitting it. The truck felt to have less power than my LBZ Duramax. When driving my Duramax, I feel like the truck is pulling hard gaining speed. With the F450, it felt like the power was decent, just not like the Chevy. I feel that my Chevy will pass the Ford towing up a hill. I could be wrong, but that was my impression based on flooring the truck, then driving my truck after to compare. The Chevy felt faster.
    The on-ramp of the freeway was where I stayed on it to 82 MPH, right to the limiter and it would not let me go any faster.
    I drove this F450 hoping it would change my mind in getting the Freightliner, but it didnÂ’t. I would prefer a smaller truck like the F450, but it didnÂ’t seem better than my Chevrolet. I feel like I could upgrade my brakes and suspension on my 3500 and have a comparable truck, just faster. I am not sold on paying $25k+ more (after mods) than my truck now for something like this.
    The hype of the 450 had me thinking it was a super truck, and while it is definitely a nice and cool truck, for what I want, it just doesnÂ’t do anything more for me than my Chevy already does.
    The one I drove has a list price of about $58k and I could get it for thousands less. If anyone wants one, let me know, I have a good source on them.

djunkie
    If this doesn't get the Ford freaks panties in a wad I don't know what will.

Magic34
    If this doesn't get the Ford freaks panties in a wad I don't know what will.
    It shouldn't... I really wanted to buy one. It just isn't what all the hype was about.

spectras only
    Magic , what did you tow with that truck , a house ?
    I towed a Komfort Trailblazer 276 like this one [http://www.djsrv.net/new/trailblazer.htm ] with my Navigator [ 3.73 gears ] two days ago from Vancouver to Vancouver Island .
    Had no problem pulling the Komfort [ 10000 lbs ] . The 450 can't be that bad with a diesel and 4.88 gears :idea: .

Magic34
    I towed a Komfort Trailblazer 276 like this one [http://www.djsrv.net/new/trailblazer.htm ] with my Navigator [ 3.73 gears ] two days ago from Vancouver to Vancouver Island .
    Had no problem pulling the Komfort [ 10000 lbs ] . The 450 can't be that bad with a diesel and 4.88 gears :idea: .
    It wasn't that the F450 was "that" bad. I just expected more from the $58k truck. All this hype on the dual inline turbo and everything and my Chevy felt much faster, like it had more power.
    I just expected the F450 to pull harder than the Chevy and it did not. Maybe becaues the F450 weighs more than the 3500, but it should have pulled harder with the 4.88 gears. So I think the weight to gears are a wash.
    I towed a 5th wheel 40' Weekend Warrior at 18k for a year and the Chevy did great. I am sure the Ford would as well. I now tow 22k.

victorfb
    nice report. one thing to mention though is that these trucks are purpose use vehicles, not a daily driver. test driving it empty is like tasting a beer by looking at the can/bottle. also remeber that comparing a F450 to a GM3500 is not equal. the F450 has a much higher CGWR and for some is the only way to tow legally. unfortunatly to get that higher CGWR you need to sacrafice ride. but when you load a 17000# trailer onto one they ride MUCH better. putting the freightliner into the equasion is just another step. again not an equal. all these trucks are in differant classes. my GM1500 rides alot smoother and will smoke my F550 off the line and top speed, but it wont pull the 5th wheel. ok, a little exaguration with the comparison, but you get my point. when buying a truck/tow vehicle, buy one that fits your needs and purpose. there is no such thing as a heavy tow vehicle daily driver groceory getting economy luxury low cost truck. then again i wouldnt put it past japan to come up with one.

Trailer Park Casanova
    Very good post. Good takes.
    We drove the F450 and decided to wait to see what GM rolls out.
    The harsh ride shocked us too.
    If ya wanna tow the big pigs, the 450 is the BFD at the moment.

NashvilleBound
    Nice thread. Im looking for a new truck as well... Not sure if it will be the 350 or 450. Most likey the 350. My Denali is Very boarderline towing the Magic ..... Unfortunately I will use this as a primary driver so the Freightliner is out. We have a (I think its called) a F120 in CA now.... thing is bad ass....just not a daily driver. Maybe if you compared the 350 to your 3500 it might be a more equal test.... your right, the 450 is HEAVY.

Beer-30
    Had no problem pulling the Komfort [ 10000 lbs ] .
    Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. Magic34 is like me and a few others that have pulled LOTS of trailers LOTS of miles. One simple theory comes out of all those hours:
    If it requires a 1/2 ton - get a 3/4 ton.
    If it requires a 3/4 ton - get a 1 ton.
    So on and so forth.
    Basically, the vehicles can pull the load when at their maximum, but you have to think of all of the little parts that are supporting the load(s). It's not just about suspension. It's wheel bearings, seals, pinion bearings, U-joints, wheel studs, axle flanges, torque converter.
    Most of the toy-hauler trailer houses should really be under a 1-ton. Almost everyone uses 2500s, which is better than nothing. The smaller ones are well suited to 3/4s (25-28 feet) but when you get into 30+ footers, that is a lot of weight for a 3/4 ton to handle. They can do it, but it will eventually take its toll on the drivetrain and suspension.
    And yes, he is basically pulling a house. Whether it be his new Formula or a 40' WW, they are equivalent to a house.

Beer-30
    The truck felt to have less power than my LBZ Duramax. When driving my Duramax, I feel like the truck is pulling hard gaining speed. With the F450, it felt like the power was decent, just not like the Chevy. I feel that my Chevy will pass the Ford towing up a hill. I could be wrong, but that was my impression based on flooring the truck, then driving my truck after to compare. The Chevy felt faster.
    Weight. I think the power is there, as it is in the LBZ, but you are in a much heavier truck. I am a GM man, but I have to say that Ford has always overbuilt their frames. You are comparing a 1-ton to a 1.5-ton / both with similar power. Every 100 lbs makes a difference. I don't know exactly the difference in wt between a GM 3500 4X and a Ford 450 4X, but I wouldn't be surprised at 1500 lbs or so.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast