Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cobras new 290 Viper SXT is trick

Fast Freddy
    WOW!!! is this boat hot or what? check out the january 2006 issue of powerboat magazine for teagues test on this 29 ft tri-hull super snake. they tested the open bow version with a 525 efi and it hit a top speed of 86 mph!! with ilmors 625 horse V-10 it does 91 mph! no chine walking or porpoising and it only weighs a mere 4,400 lbs. teague said "it was fun" to drive this boat out in the ocean with 3-4 foot seas. gotta luv the combination of speed and handling that this tri-hull brings to the water. teague says it flies down the straights like a tunnel and takes the turns like a V-bottom. it has a 105" inch beam with a open bow and a mid cabin so there is lots of room. it also comes with a extreme triple axle trailer. what more could one want? i will be selling my kachina in the next couple of years and plan on buying one of these boats with a ilmore 625 hp V-10. i would use this boat at lake powell, lake mead and lake havasu. with the 90 gallons of fuel that it holds you could run all day. the insurance should be cheaper than a cat.
    i own a dodge viper and luv V-10 engines. even my superduty has a V-10 engine although at only 6.8 litres it displaces less cubic inches than the vipers 8.1 litres. viper engines can be bored and stroked to 10 litres now! thats 600+ cubic inches!! with a N/A 600+ ci stroker running 91 octane you are looking at 750 hp. this should be good for at least 100+ mph. stock displacement viper engines can be modded to make 1000+ hp utilizing turbo's or a supercharger and 10 lbs of boost on 100 octane race gas. i bet this boat would hit 120 mph with that kind of power.
    the pix you see below are of cobras 290 Viper SXT. i found them in "throttles" gallery here on this site. if somebody can upload thes pix into this post here i would appreciate it.

INSman
    I agree...
    Now if we could throw some serious HP in this boat and see what it would do in comparison to the Howard Bullet that runs 110 mph, then we would be talking

Fast Freddy
    i bet with the same power that the 28 ft howard bullet was makin that cobras viper would be faster. cobra put trim tabs on their 29 ft viper that had the ilmore power. from what i hear they weren't even needed. now at 110+ mph they will probably come in handy. i found another pic. this one shows a close up of the modified VP hull

Supultlbich
    I'm just going to stand back and watch this one..........way back!!!!

bigq
    I really like that boat and have been a fan of the Mod-V hull. Cobra makes a nice boat.

cc322
    Why you have the perfect boat to start it all over again :wink:

boxscore
    I agree... Something about that mutha looks like it has squirrly written all over it.

:argue: cobra put trim tabs on their 29 ft viper that had the ilmore power. from what i hear they weren't even needed. now at 110+ mph they will probably come in handy.
    For the record, I rode in the big orange boat in rough water at about 105, and Gary never touched the tabs. If I hadn't seen the GPS, I wouldn't have believed the speed because it was that smooth! I don't believe Teague used them either at 110 when he drove it for PB. Gary uses them when he pulls the girls behind the boat in the "tube". That's all I use mine for either, but they look cool.
    As for the Mod-V, I especially like the mag that shows the making of the
    original plug. Very innovative design and a fine boat I'm sure.
    --for those of you that are "new", Gary Taylor owns the big orange Howard that did 110 at the PB tests and 107 at the HB tests--

bigq
    I agree... Something about that mutha looks like it has squirrly written all over it.
    What are you guys talking about?

Fast Freddy
    seeing how the 625 hp version of the ilmore V-10 gets you to 91 mph in this boat you could always just hook up a 200 hp direct port nitrous system. this should be good for at least 100+ mph too. they ran a lab finished 30 prop to 6,000 rpm's (91 mph) with the V-10. so i would put on a lab finished 32 prop and spray the motor once i hit 5,500 rpm's (should be about 91 mph). this should accelerate the boat up to 6,000 rpm's and 100+ mph rather quickly, either that or burn the engine down right quick, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast