Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carb questions

steelcomp
    All the rest are the same. The high speed circuits are fairly small and all the same. The middle bleed are like you said larger and all the same. The idle air bleeds are all extremely small except for one which is actually larger then even the middle circuits.
    I think typically the high speed (closest to the center of the carb) are the smallest, but that's not the issue here. If someone intentionally put that big air bleed in there, I would have no idea why. Dosen't mean there wasn't a reason, (I'm certainly not an expert) just that I can't imagine one.

Big Inch
    I think typically the high speed (closest to the center of the carb) are the smallest, but that's not the issue here. If someone intentionally put that big air bleed in there, I would have no idea why. Dosen't mean there wasn't a reason, (I'm certainly not an expert) just that I can't imagine one.
    Now you have me second guessing whether or not the one I am referring to is the idle bleed or the high speed bleed. Hrrrrmmm.... I wish I had brought the boat home with me now so I could check instead of leaving at the river When I looked at it I know I thought it was the idle circuit bleed but maybe I was confused as to which side the idle was on. I know that it was either the outer or inner bleeds but I'm now not sure if it was the closest to the center or furthest from the center now that you mention it. I do know that 3 out of the 4 were the smallest orificed bleeds by a large margin. They are so small that you could not fit a needle through them. Would that typically be the high speed? I have enough knowledge to generally do the basic tuning on my carbs and know enough to not mess with the bleeds beyond just spraying them clean with carb cleaner to make sure the passage is clear.

Big Inch
    Any thoughts on if I should change out that air bleed back to stock? Leaving for the river tonite or tomorrow so need to pick up parts before I go.

steelcomp
    I'm a little lost here, as well, with the "turning" of airbleeds. Airbleeds are like jets, and come in different sizes, but they need to be tight.
    You have four idle air bleeds, one for each venturi. Are you saying that one of the four is much larger? Typically with a three circuit carb, the intermediate air bleed (the one in the middle) is going to be the large one...significantly larger than the other two. Maybe someone got the airbleeds mixed up? I'd get ahold of the Holley tech line and find out what the stock jetting and air bleeds for that carb are and start from there. 99% of the time those carbs will work pretty well right out of the box, and only need some fine tuning. With a single carb and no PV's, you should be very close to square on the jetting.
    One more note...the carbs with intermediate circuits can be really fat at part throttle. If you spend a lot of time cruising at part throttle, you might have to work on that circuit, or get a carb without one.Yes to your above question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12