Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blower surge, can it be eliminated?

jimsplace
    Why do blower motors with carburetors on gas surge when idling. Are there things that can be done to reduce or eliminate this.
    Yes, this is my first blower and I am learning. 2x dominators - 14-71 - 540 bbc.

sanger rat
    Turn in your idle mixture screws.

atxwrangler
    Why Would You Want To?:d I'm Trying To Get Mine To Do That!:d

sanger rat
    Because it's nice to idle right onto the trailer at 1100rpm's.

DMOORE
    Not if ya have an outdrive.
    Darrell.

Heatseeker
    I tamed my idle with advice from Timinator here on the board. He wrote an article for the mag on this very subject.
    You'll need to remove and take apart your carbs to drill some small holes(I can't remember the diameter) in the butterfly plates. You could contact Timinator for the particulars. He was very helpful when I did it.
    I got my idle down to 900-1000 rpms with very little noticable surge.

IMPATIENT 1
    Why Would You Want To?:d I'm Trying To Get Mine To Do That!:d
    turn out your mixture screws

Slacker
    You'll need to remove and take apart your carbs to drill some small holes(I can't remember the diameter) in the butterfly plates.
    I got my idle down to 900-1000 rpms with very little noticable surge.[/QUOTE]
    Same here

TIMINATOR
    Usually start with .092(3/32) in the PRIMARY throttle plates, one in each plate next to the shaft on the idle hole side, centered side to side. You may need to go to .110, but come up to that size in steps, try it in the water loaded first before going bigger. You WILL have to reset the idle speed and mixture after doing this mod. I do it on the trailer, backed into the water, warm the motor thoroughly first, and get it close, then you can touch it up later. We also typically boost reference the power valves too, but that is more for motor(bearing) longetivity. I prefer to not have the surge because it wastes fuel, and is harder on the drive when idling through the channel. The rpm flucuation is directly sent to the drive, whether in gear or not the U-joints and input shaft bearings are turning, as are the coupler splines. I would rather have my boat sound wussie than replace parts and buy more fuel. I don't think my motor sounds very radical for what it is, thats the way I like it. I can idle in the backwaters for an hour and never have it die or foul a plug. Thats my preference, yours may vary. TIMINATOR

Jerrys59
    Not real nice shifting in and out of gear at 1100 rpm. not a good thing!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast