Thread: Pool - Shooting the Shell Question

*BN*
    Tomorrow is the big day. 65 yards of shotcrete for the pool.
    Any advice on what I should be watching for?

HM
    Make sure they use a pozzalonic kaolin clay admixture. It will keep the color longer and stop salts from migrating to the surface because it reacts with the free lime.

Cigalert
    Body parts being covered up.

*BN*

Xlration Marine
    Make sure they use a pozzalonic kaolin clay admixture. It will keep the color longer and stop salts from migrating to the surface because it reacts with the free lime.
    What? Some use mud gel, other hyco flow. This just lets it pump E Z R. Make sure it's not to wet, 3"-4" slump. Make sure it's 8" thick or what ever the code for your area, mine is 8" thick. After they shoot it, in about 2 hours or so, it will start to turn gray, this is when you want to start the water cure. Just spray the pool down evry hour or so, not to soak it just to get it wet. Do this for a couple of days, this will give it a good strong cure. Properly cured concrete should be green looking, just like it was as it started to set up. This will also keep it from cracking, something you don't want after the final surface is on. Oh, and don't use sky hooks in the cool deck, another bad thing.

HM
    What? Some use mud gel, other hyco flow. This just lets it pump E Z R. Make sure it's not to wet, 3"-4" slump. Make sure it's 8" thick or what ever the code for your area, mine is 8" thick. After they shoot it, in about 2 hours or so, it will start to turn gray, this is when you want to start the water cure. Just spray the pool down evry hour or so, not to soak it just to get it wet. Do this for a couple of days, this will give it a good strong cure. Properly cured concrete should be green looking, just like it was as it started to set up. This will also keep it from cracking, something you don't want after the final surface is on. Oh, and don't use sky hooks in the cool deck, another bad thing.
    I am talking about an admixture for this application that I personally sold into shotcrete and other cement type applications. This material is now a standard and may even be already incorporated into bagged material. This product has nothing to do with pumping....it is all about end performance, although it does add trowelability. It originally was designed for high strength concrete, similar to fly ash and silica fume. But, it lended itself to concrete with decorative requirements as it is white and prevents modeling of color as well as the other things I posted.

Sherpa
    alot of shotcrete experts in here..........
    I don't know what the hell you guys are saying, but it sure sounds neat.
    --Sherpa
    dirtbag flatwork flunky at yer service-!

HM
    alot of shotcrete experts in here..........
    I don't know what the hell you guys are saying, but it sure sounds neat.
    --Sherpa
    dirtbag flatwork flunky at yer service-!
    I spent 15 years selling chemicals. The applicators don't know the chemistry...hell, even the building material suppliers didn't understand the chemistry. They just know what is bought and what keeps the customers happy because the mfg's try to keep a competitive edge. I have been out of that industry for 5 years now, but I did play golf with one of the largest mfg's in the industry last week as we became friends over the years. We were just talking about how this stuff I was selling was a long shot and never expected it to become a standard. But then, the reason it is being used is pretty different from the reasons we promoted it for. Kind of a 3M type of deal...it accidentally did some other stuff. I find the chemistry very interesting and still like to hear how they are developing new products. When I have a pool installed, I am going to make sure it has the kaolin clay in it. And it is not just kaolin clay, or potassium alumina silicate, it is partially calcined (partially cooked) which gives it reactivity with the free lime generated by the hydration of cement. Fully calcined kaolin clay is not reactive, nor is non-calcined kaolin clay. Doesn't everyone find that interesting?

jakerace
    dont do it