Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delrin Strut Bushings

Warp Factor
    What's the latest on Delrin strut bushings? A number of years ago, people who used them said they were the best thing out there, as long as they were kept under water (not for hydros).
    Who's used these, what did you think, and is there a source so you don't need to fab them?
    Do they need slots like conventional bushings?

GofastRacer
    Yep Delrin is good, but I'd use Turcite it's stronger and I would broach them!..

Fired Up
    I did not have a good experience with it on my flatbottom, But that's just my .02... Others swear by them, use them on their dragboats without problem. I went back to the fiber type with the "slots" as you called them. The Delrin I had was "slotless".

steelcomp
    Nylatron is a good alternative.

469 the coyote
    It is best to put slots 3/4 of the way though them and a groove and then drill the stut and bushing and put a greese fitting in to lube them. The turcite ones are great too. They will all work on a hydro with the greese fitting.

steelcomp
    That's why I like Nylatron. It's self lubricating.

superdave013
    What about UHMW? That's about the slickest of the slick that I've ever seen. But for well under 20 bucks those fiber ones seem hard to beat.

superdave013
    It is best to put slots 3/4 of the way though them and a groove and then drill the stut and bushing and put a greese fitting in to lube them. The turcite ones are great too. They will all work on a hydro with the greese fitting.
    You have a greese zirk sticking out of your strut??

Warp Factor
    Thanks guys, and keep it coming.
    It looks like everyone's having a good experience with these unless there aren't slots (OK, broaching for some of you, but there's other ways to cut a slot) :hammer2:
    I haven't had any particular problems with the fiber ones, but I have to pull the rudder to get the propshaft out, and pull some other stuff to get to the rudder, so I was looking for something that would last longer. Some of you are probably drag racers, so do they hold up better than fiber on a lake boat?
    A source? Does Casale or someone make these?
    On a related note, anyone ever build up the worn area on the propshaft with metalspray and then remachine, or do you have to throw it away when it gets worn in the bushing area?

Lookin for Liquid
    You have a greese zirk sticking out of your strut??
    2 of them ....and the driver does the greasin!!!!!! The grease zerk fitting is mainly for Hydros Big Dave!
    I have always run the hi temp nylon ones which we have made for 15 years...Comp Flat to Top Alcohol with no problems. The fibre ones will last longer if the shaft is spinning on the trailer but will also "polish" your propshaft more due to there hardness....so all you have to ask yourself is do you want it to be more of a bearing (which is replaceable)...or do you want it polishing your shaft? I have seen the fibre ones as well become "unlodged" from the strut which in turn wears on the strut now while it turns. The nylon ones press in due to there flexability and insures that they will not spin and use your strut for a bearing surface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast