Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: " Smack in the mouth" @ Jury duty!

Ultracrazy
    Blocking the launch ramp while taking pics.........and now parking outside the lines? Good Lord man, have you no pride??!?!?!?

socalmoney
    Five days of paid Jury duty will cover the cost of that ticket.

socalmoney
    I also don't recommend anyone park at the Court House in Riverside. They will ticket you for not front plate. It is worth the walk.

2Driver
    God after reading that by the end of the day I would be sticking sharp pencils in my ear just to distract me from the pain.

DaddyMack
    As a judge I get this or a similar complaint a lot. But this is the behind the scenes....
    There really is no better system, to be able to be tried by "your peers", the problem comes not from the execution, but from the unwillingness to particpate, leaving only those that do participate to create the reputation of the system.
    If everyone participated without trying to get out of it... then the jurty decisions might be what you would expect. But complaining about a system that you refuse to particpate in is hypocrytical.
    Jeff... what you experienced (other than the ticket) is fairly normal. BUT I applaud you for particpating. Here is what happens...
    A jury trial is scheduled for that day... so potential jurors are called to participate. The number of the jury panel varies depending on the judge and type of case due to people being excused for good reason or because an attorney believes that person might be biased against their case (there are limits and eventually you take what you get).
    A lot of times the case (whether criminal or civil) may settle at the time of trial. Usually, by that time each side has a pretty good idea what the other side is going to say and produce at trial, but it takes actually being in the courtroom ready for trial for the party holding out on settling to finally decide to settle. If the parties are working on settlement, the potential jurors aren't brought into the courtroom or chosen.
    If the settlement is taking a while and the Judge believes that it will settle, which is typically in the best interest of all parties, the potential jurirs are notified and given a longer break (lunch 3 hours) rather than have them sit in the jury room.
    All of this may seem like an inconvenience, unless and/or until you are one of the parties in such a case.
    If you don't particiapte, then complaining about the what a jury awards has zero weight, since you really can't complain about something you decline to particpate in. You get what you get.
    I myself was called to jury duty several months ago. I called in and turned out that the juror number was not called that day and was rescheduled several weeks later. I was then called to be there at noon. After the instructions and a movie, we sat around for the good part of the afternoon, with a break in between. They then dismissed most of us and our jury serivce was done. A few jurys were empaneled that day, but I was not a part of them (don't know if I would have been chosen, but that at least would be a choice for the judge and attorneys on the case). I read most of a new book, and was fairly bored but at least i was there and participating.
    Here I can't be called for another two years. My brother, ironically, a month earlier was called to jury duty and was empaneled but not chosen. Turns out I knew the attys involved as well as the judge. They didn't realize he was related to me until after the trial when I spoke to them.
    Most everyone I have ever spoken to that was lucky enought to actually sit on a Jury and make a decision, have said it was eye opening and a fantiastic experience, notwithstanding the waiting around time.
    I think its a small price to pay for our system and freedoms. Granted its not perfect, and may not even be close, but until something better comes along, it has worked for about 200 years.

Ziggy
    My experience went as far as getting into a court room where the attnrys interviewed all the potential jurors and either dismissed or added people to the juror panel. As luck had it I was one of the last 3 potentials when the judge suddenly called the lawyers into chambers. They came back after 20 or so minutes, dismissed everyone(incl sellected jurors) and had to start all over. Although somewhat interesting a total waste of two whole days.

socalmoney
    As a judge I get this or a similar complaint a lot.
    There are a lot of "Judges" on ***boat.

DaddyMack
    My experience went as far as getting into a court room where the attnrys interviewed all the potential jurors and either dismissed or added people to the juror panel. As luck had it I was one of the last 3 potentials when the judge suddenly called the lawyers into chambers. They came back after 20 or so minutes, dismissed everyone(incl sellected jurors) and had to start all over. Although somewhat interesting a total waste of two whole days.
    My guess is that something was said by one of the attorneys said something they were not permitted to say, and as a result the judge considered the entire panel tainted. That is, unfortunately, something that could occur and happens rarely, but better to dismiss it earlier than have the jury sit for the trial, only to be appealed due to the imporper statements made when the jury was being impaneled.

DaddyMack
    There are a lot of "Judges" on ***boat.
    really? hmm who else?

Ziggy
    My guess is that something was said by one of the attorneys said something they were not permitted to say, and as a result the judge considered the entire panel tainted. That is, unfortunately, something that could occur and happens rarely, but better to dismiss it earlier than have the jury sit for the trial, only to be appealed due to the imporper statements made when the jury was being impaneled.
    I figured as much too but not knowing what was done wrong bummed me out......I'm curious like that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast