Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: " Smack in the mouth" @ Jury duty!

Ziggy
    There are a lot of "Judges" on ***boat.
    You meant judge and jury, I'm sure.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    If you don't particiapte, then complaining about the what a jury awards has zero weight, since you really can't complain about something you decline to particpate in. You get what you get.
    Most everyone I have ever spoken to that was lucky enought to actually sit on a Jury and make a decision, have said it was eye opening and a fantiastic experience, notwithstanding the waiting around time.
    I think its a small price to pay for our system and freedoms. Granted its not perfect, and may not even be close, but until something better comes along, it has worked for about 200 years.
    I agree. It is a shame that most of the people with half a brain work their asses off to get out of it. That leaves the defendant (it might be you there someday) and the D.A. with usually a bunch of losers deciding the case.
    I actually enjoyed jury duty, once I got called for a trial. It's annoying, however, to hear the lame excuses people give. One guy home schooled his kids, didn't work, but couldn't spend his days at court. The judge actually let him go. The only time I realy fought to get out of it was when I was scheduled to have my second interview for this job. I had to pull out the tears card. I couldn't believe he let the guy who was a stay at home dad with a flexible schedule leave, but was going to make me lose my chance of getting a job. Anyway, I got out. I'm sure I'll be called again shortly. They seem to call me every single year without missing a beat. Overall, it is an interesting experience and our obligation if we want a trial by peers when our turn arises.
    However, I think the LE downtown should be more lenient when it comes to jury parking. It's like bait. Force you to come downtown by court order, then look for any possible reason to ticket you.

DaddyMack
    I agree. It is a shame that most of the people with half a brain work their asses off to get out of it. That leaves the defendant (it might be you there someday) and the D.A. with usually a bunch of losers deciding the case.
    I actually enjoyed jury duty, once I got called for a trial. It's annoying, however, to hear the lame excuses people give. One guy home schooled his kids, didn't work, but couldn't spend his days at court. The judge actually let him go. The only time I realy fought to get out of it was when I was scheduled to have my second interview for this job. I had to pull out the tears card. I couldn't believe he let the guy who was a stay at home dad with a flexible schedule leave, but was going to make me lose my chance of getting a job. Anyway, I got out. I'm sure I'll be called again shortly. They seem to call me every single year without missing a beat. Overall, it is an interesting experience and our obligation if we want a trial by peers when our turn arises.
    However, I think the LE downtown should be more lenient when it comes to jury parking. It's like bait. Force you to come downtown by court order, then look for any possible reason to ticket you.
    The judges are much tougher here now. Almost no reason gets you out, including finals if you are college student. I don't have Jury trials in front of me (I only handle criminal misdemeanors so not entitled to jury trial), so I don't have to deal with the jury process in my courtroom.
    And I agree... the parking ticket is chicken shit.

DaddyMack
    You meant judge and jury, I'm sure.
    OH>>> Duh...

HM
    The judges are much tougher here now. Almost no reason gets you out, including finals if you are college student. I don't have Jury trials in front of me (I only handle criminal misdemeanors so not entitled to jury trial), so I don't have to deal with the jury process in my courtroom.
    I like the idea of "professional juries" similar to a grand jury. Any thoughts on that your honor?

DaddyMack
    I like the idea of "professional juries" similar to a grand jury. Any thoughts on that your honor?
    Good and bad... depends how many cases they would have to hear. I think the first few would get a good shake... after that.. may get a litle jaded one way or another....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    This was only June 06. I agree, they are much tougher now.

Screaming Pete
    i found the girl in the see thru white dress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86vBC1j1zL8

Sportin' Wood
    Pretty close but smaller frame.(@$$)
    I actually thought of a way I believe the Jury process could be improved, after all I had all day to ponder it.
    Every juror has a badge with a bar code. When you arrive you should scan the bar code to gain entry into the juror lounge. Juror should arrive at 1 hour intervals untill 10:00 am starting at 7:00 am. 200 at a time.
    The computer reading the bar code should attach each juror to a case at that time and the TV screens thruout the lounge should display your asignment, and time you will be needed. If you need to leave the juror room you will have to scan out. Only a balif would be required at the door and a supervisor to assist people. The TV screens would update each group.
    By 12:00 pm they should know if they will need you. This system would not hold additional jurors for back up. In the afternoon a second group of jurors would show up to the court house and check in just like the first at 12:00, 1:00, and 2:00 pm. This group would be for any addition jurors the court needs. There for only truly requiring that a juror commit to half a day.
    I think the biggest waste was the system they use to organize the Jury pool. They could make it much easier and quicker with a little technolodgy. I really did not mind going to jury duty and did enjoy the day untill I got the damn ticket.
    I also thought that in the Jury waiting area they could have had CNN or FOX News playing on the blank TV screens. Hell 12 angry men would have been better then BLANK SCREEN!
    Going to jury duty does not bug most people I believe.... Its knowing that they won't pick you and you will have to sit there all day for nothing.
    I also think that High school gov't classes should brain wash kids on the importance of civic duty and how they should just plan on serving every year.
    Ya know the thought of snapping a picture of the thin dress girl crossed my mind...... But I was sure I would get smacked in the mouth for trying that.............. Twice!

OGShocker
    Never happen, all I need is some middle school student getting ahold of a pic of their teacher, and next thing ya know MMSW is in the tabloids.
    Your point is well taken. I am sorry for being rude.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast