Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous Questions

pw_Tony
    Just had some general questions about nitrous.
    Background: 340 Mopar, about 10:1-10.5:1 compression. Around .510 lift cam 244@.050.
    Single plane manifold.
    650 carb.
    Just had it plumbed with a Cheater system which I believe is between 125-250 shot. Has switch at bottom of gas pedal to engage. Running electronic ignition with MSD 6al
    What are the general procedures for running nitrous? What fuel should be ran? Using an electrical fuel pump now. Where should the timing be at total advanced to run nitrous decently safe? Don't have an O2 sensor yet, should the plugs be around the same color as a N/A motor running well?
    Any other things I NEED to know before running some would help, first time experience . Thanks, Tony

ULTRA26 # 1
    Just had some general questions about nitrous.
    Background: 340 Mopar, about 10:1-10.5:1 compression. Around .510 lift cam 244@.050.
    Single plane manifold.
    650 carb.
    Just had it plumbed with a Cheater system which I believe is between 125-250 shot. Has switch at bottom of gas pedal to engage. Running electronic ignition with MSD 6al
    What are the general procedures for running nitrous? What fuel should be ran? Using an electrical fuel pump now. Where should the timing be at total advanced to run nitrous decently safe? Don't have an O2 sensor yet, should the plugs be around the same color as a N/A motor running well?
    Any other things I NEED to know before running some would help, first time experience . Thanks, Tony
    Your going to need a method of increasing your fuel input relative to the NOS shot. Colder plugs and/or bigger gap too. The MSD is a must.
    It's been a long time since my Nitrous days. I don't recall timing as being as issue with the dry system I had. I do remember that once it was dialed, it was amazing.

IMPATIENT 1
    #1 DON'T EVER LOSE FUEL PRESSURE!!!! put in a fuel pressure safety switch before you ever hit the button for the 1st time! i've seen to many people who had 8-9psi at idle and at wot 1psi a fuel pressure safety switch will turn off your nitrous if your fuel supply pressure drops below 6-7psi
    for every 50hp i added with nitrous i'd take out 1 1/2 degree of timing. when i ran 300hp , i ran total timing at 28degrees on my 11 to 1 bbf 460

Sleeper CP
    What you need to know is this: There are two types of Nitrous users, those that have blown up shit and those that will.
    I'm working on the boat at moment, I'll send you some info later.
    ImpatientOne had some very good infor. If possiable have a seperate fuel reg. for the Nitrous system.
    Sleeper CP

IMPATIENT 1
    What you need to know is this: There are two types of Nitrous users, those that have blown up shit and those that will.
    ImpatientOne had some very good infor. If possiable have a seperate fuel reg. for the Nitrous system.
    Sleeper CP
    those are the same guys who's gave nitrous a bad name i've NEVER damaged a motor on nitrous and i've ran thru almost a 1000lbs of the stuff
    i'm plannin on runnin a blown nitrous set-up next yr.

pw_Tony
    Sleeper CP
    Oh yes, that is what we're expecting. Geoff knows the car, it's a 65 Plymouth Valiant with 33"X:19" tires on it
    This car came with nitrous half hooked up, so decided to juice it til it blows, then goes in the new 700hp Small Block Dodge

Sleeper CP
    those are the same guys who's gave nitrous a bad name i've NEVER damaged a motor on nitrous and i've ran thru almost a 1000lbs of the stuff
    i'm plannin on runnin a blown nitrous set-up next yr.
    That just tells me your are not trying hard enough. You have got to lean on it sometime. :idea:
    I've blown up my fair share of shit before the system got dialed in, but there was no way in hell I was going to quit the stuff once I found it, it's way to much fun. Sex in a bottle...
    BTW : at a 1,000 lbs you are a little above a novice.
    Sleeper

IMPATIENT 1
    That just tells me your are not trying hard enough. You have got to lean on it sometime. :idea:
    I've blown up my fair share of shit before the system got dialed in, but there was no way in hell I was going to quit the stuff once I found it, it's way to much fun. Sex in a bottle...
    BTW : at a 1,000 lbs you are a little above a novice.
    Sleeper
    i've been using nitrous on something for the past 8-9yrs(i'm only 31) yep, sex in a bottle is a very good descript
    nah man, i've leaned on my bottle for long stretches in the ole boat, but i had alot of protection built into every system i set up. if pressure ever got low on any of my set-ups, system would shut off. when i set up nitrous boats, i use a fuel pressure safety switch and low oil pressure switch to protect my mill.safety switches are alot cheaper than pistons

Sleeper CP
    ".safety switches are alot cheaper than pistons"
    A true statement indeed.
    The other thing Tony needs to know is to learn to read the plugs after a good Nitrous pull and run the system alittle rich on the fuel side. It might take a little hit out of the system but 10-15% rich is better than 10-15% lean.
    Sleeper

IMPATIENT 1
    A true statement indeed.
    The other thing Tony needs to know is to learn to read the plugs after a good Nitrous pull and run the system alittle rich on the fuel side. It might take a little hit out of the system but 10-15% rich is better than 10-15% lean.
    Sleeper
    no doubt! plus the little extra fuel will slow detonation some, allow alittle more timing. all my systems wanted 7 psi to the solenoid, i always gave them 8 1/2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast