Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous Questions

HOWARD UFH
    becarefull rich is good to rich with the supplemented gas will lift the ring landings.

DUCKY
    My comment about the "no pump gas" is just for safety. You can run 91 octane, but honestly if your motor is 10.5:1 with iron heads you really shouldn't be running straight pump gas anyways.
    I don't necessarily think you need a separate fuel tank, although it's not a bad idea. The separate pump or at least the separate regulator and gauge off your existing pump really should be done. If not for reliability, at least for tuning ability.
    The comment about mixing up the jets, in my opinion is not a good practice. Much better to use the jets they package together as a HP level, then up the fuel pressure a little for a safety net. The reason I say this is that for a 150 shot, lets just say that the fuel jet is a 70 the next HP level might call for a 78 or something and that is a huge change from what the manufacturer intended.
    Lastly, the words about the getting the motor up to a sufficient RPM are good ones. The only way around that is if you had something like a 4500 stall converter, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    We use a RPM window switch on the Barb Wire. It turns on the spray at 5K (only if WOT, with sufficient fuel pressure), and off anywhere from 6000 to whatever we need. Usually 6200-6500 rpm. Depending on the weather, each 100 rpm is usually worth .05 to .07 change in the ET.

hotbo
    nitrous doesnt blow motors up trying to side step the dedicated fuel system would. 300 shot warrants a dedicated fuel system.I dont think you should be crossing your fingers every time you are in the button just my personal experience
    im talking in boats and from my personal experince i have never needed a dedicated fuel system.the gas tanks in aots are even or in front of the mill in jets,or v-drives.cars shit is behind so yes it has to work harder than a boat does for its fuel. hes talking small shots here damn dont scare him to death over nos b.s..yes 91 on a 10.5 motor is not good anyway kinda makes me wonder if its a true 10.5 motor regardless i wish the best and the best thing to do is call whoevers tech line the system is and ask them also.
    as far as mixing jets:idea: be careful,colder plugs not always needed and yes do not get to big of gap or flame will blow out.it will be a fun ride the first time you hit the button we have a 406 roller with 250 on it in a pro street truck we run at the track and street it some it runs 8.30s in the 1/8 and it is one wild ride when you mash the button all together different than the water thats for sure.later trav.

I have run NOS on a few hopped up chevys and a Pontiac headed motor. I didn't like the idea of the activation button on the throttle as it meant that you were spraying the whole time you were mashed if you had the system armed. I liked having the button on the wheel. My idea behind using NOS was to end the race quickly and not have to wind up the engine for a quarter mile and run big mph on sketchy water. I would hit the bottle right from get and the race would be over in 200 feet. You could lift off the NOS and let the motor run the rest of the way. I never gained any more top end MPH when on the bottle. It would just drop my et by about a second or more at the races. I ran an injector 80a-0 pump from from enderle. I Tee'd off of it and ran one side to the motor and the other to the NOS. The pump was set at 7psi and I ran a seperate solenoid set 6 psi. I didn't run a low pressure switch and when the pump went away one time the motor popped. Didnt hurt it but scared the crap out of me. By hitting the button from idle the motor wasn't stressed and wrung out before it popped. People in here have given you huge $ saving advice and knowledge.

Sleeper CP
    As Jetboatguru said I would rather have the Nos switch on a button than on a throttle switch. Just easier to control. I have done it both ways in the boat.
    Sleeper CP
    514" Ford Lover

SleeperCp
    I also an a 7al3 box with a two step retard. I had a 8 degree retard chip in it. With the Pontiac I ran 34 degrees timing and it would retard to 26 degrees. I had a 400 shot plate system with two dominators.

IMPATIENT 1
    SleeperCp
    I also an a 7al3 box with a two step retard. I had a 8 degree retard chip in it. With the Pontiac I ran 34 degrees timing and it would retard to 26 degrees. I had a 400 shot plate system with two dominators.
    man, bet that felt good to smash down on:devil: :devil:

Unchained
    BTW : at a 1,000 lbs you are a little above a novice.
    Sleeper
    Reality check time,
    1000 # of nitrous=100 ten# bottles = $ 45.+- per 10# bottle = $4,500.00
    Plus your time to chase it and change the bottles.
    Time on the bottle.........10# = about 90 seconds ?
    That amount of money would have bought some real parts rather than ....air ....

Sleeper CP
    Reality check time,
    1000 # of nitrous=100 ten# bottles = $ 45.+- per 10# bottle = $4,500.00
    Plus your time to chase it and change the bottles.
    Time on the bottle.........10# = about 90 seconds ?That amount of money would have bought some real parts rather than ....air ....
    There is something wrong with this part. I wish 10#'s lasted 90 seconds; if it did wouldn't he have 90 seconds x 100= 9,000 seconds/60 = 150 hrs. That would work for me.
    Just remember Unchained "different strokes for different folks" we all like to go fast, it doesn't really matter to me how you do it. And I never capped on the turbo boats that my 565" Nos motor blew out of the water , not once did I ever tell them " Hey your high tech high dollar twin turbo hot rod just got blown out of the water by my old school big inch Ford"
    I may have thought it ,but I never said it because it was axiomatic.
    Reality Check that!
    Sleeper CP
    565" Ford Lover

76miller
    Have you picked out what kit your gonna get yet ? I'm tired of wondering how cool it is..?..I'm going for it ! Good thread though. -76miller

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast