Thread: Leaky logs?

Nordic78
    Hey folks, just bought my first boat at the beginning of this season. "Man! is my family hooked". Im at the river or the lake damn near every other weekend and we still cant seem to get enough. Well now that the season is getting close to an end Im coming up with ideas to increase the performance of my boat. One problem I am having is that I replaced the gaskets on my elelbrock logs in June and I have already burnt through the gasket and leaking exhaust. Is the log possibly warped or do I need to use a wet style gasket to solve this problem. The headers are individually spaced instead of a uni-body design at the attachment point, and Im not so keen on that idea. Alot of the replacement logs I have looked at are of the one piece design, seems to me it would be stronger with less chance for leakage. Anybody got any ideas would be appeciated.

speedymopars
    Hey folks, just bought my first boat at the beginning of this season. "Man! is my family hooked". Im at the river or the lake damn near every other weekend and we still cant seem to get enough. Well now that the season is getting close to an end Im coming up with ideas to increase the performance of my boat. One problem I am having is that I replaced the gaskets on my elelbrock logs in June and I have already burnt through the gasket and leaking exhaust. Is the log possibly warped or do I need to use a wet style gasket to solve this problem. The headers are individually spaced instead of a uni-body design at the attachment point, and Im not so keen on that idea. Alot of the replacement logs I have looked at are of the one piece design, seems to me it would be stronger with less chance for leakage. Anybody got any ideas would be appeciated.
    You didn't say what engine you are using, I have a 455 with Hardin manifolds. I ended up using two stock gaskets sandwiched together and a liberal dose of high temp orange RTV holding it all together.
    On my BB Mopars, the only thing that has worked is copper gaskets with the high temp orange RTV on both sides again.
    You can reuse this setup, and any leaks that happen are gone with a quick torque on the bolt 'cause the copper won't burn out.

Danhercules
    I soaked my gaskets in water for a few hrs before installing on my Basset headers I use to have. Solved my gasket issues.

Nordic78
    What do you supposed the water does to make the gasket leak proof. Did you use any sealant?

ck7684
    Soaking the gaskets in water is an old trick. They will swell up some and usually take care of exhaust leaks, especially in leak prone headers on cars. My boat just had black RTV and no gaskets, so thats what it got with the new engine too, except with orange RTV...

DUCKY
    Pull them off and check the log flange and head with a straight edge. If they are straight, I would suggest using studs instead of bolts if possible and if you can swing it, pick up a set of the copper exhaust gaskets from SCE, or the Percy's XX carbon which are a carbon frame with copper inserts, or even the dead-soft aluminum gaskets from ProForm. Furthermore, if it is possible, use a torque wrench when re-installing and torque in 3 stages, in a criss-cross pattern from the center out.
    If the logs are warped badly, take them to a machine shop and have them surfaced. If they are just a little warped, a long sanding board will do the trick.
    Good Luck!
    Percy's
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...60410_-1_11745
    ProForm
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...64188_-1_11745
    SCE
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...60422_-1_11745

DUCKY
    A friend once confided in me that his log was leaking.....I told him to get it checked out by a physician

GunninGopher
    If the logs are warped badly, take them to a machine shop and have them surfaced. If they are just a little warped, a long sanding board will do the trick.
    Good Luck!
    Percy's
    I spent a lot of time and money on my first jet trying to keep the logs from leaking. Nothing worked. Finally Neil at SDPM told me that they probably had been overheated too often and were soft. I just started packing it with poxy puddy and etc after that, which would last a trip or two. I had spent enough on that boat already.
    Whatever you do you should keep on it. You could burn a valve if you let it go.

Nordic78
    Then I will pull and check for a flat surface, then those gaskets you suggested, hopefully it will work, if not--- plan B. Thanks