hi gang
recently acquired a small tunnel outboard, more on that later...gonna need some advice!
california...max 91 octane at pump, some 76 stations sell the 100 octane at $4 plus a gallon.
saw a deal about the fitch "catalyst" drop-in...appears to be more legit than the other miracle fuel additive solutions. no info on applicability for 2-strokes, however, yet.
here is another way...Toulene or Xylene mixes. used successfully, no holes, no detonation, no problems if the mixture is followed per formula, but hell, if these motors are running ok on straight av, this is gonna be lightweight stuff...
TOULENE...available at paint stores, etc.
R+M/2...114
Cost...$3 gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
XYLENE...same paint stores, etc.
R+M/2...117
Cost...$4 gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane
There are also formulas for Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE), Methanol, Ethanol and Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol, but i think i will wait to comment on these alternatives until any roasting i receive regarding Toulene and Xylene subsides...
these mixtures are used successfully in 4 strokes (car engines) fuels to raise octanes, but how or if the applicability to 2 stroke outboards goes is a mystery to me, i am only bringing this up for discussion and not recommending it for 2 strokes, but if all we are doing is trying to raise the octane of our fuels, here is one possible way...
if you don't like it, don't beat up on me too bad, its my first post dammit!
mike