Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 strokes are coming

Jungle Boy
    With all this talk of car engines and 2 strokes, it has made me think a bit (look out). You outboard guys have the most to look forward to in engine advancement. If any of you follow the superbike and motocross races, it's the 4 strokers that are starting to kick ass. Yes, they may be a bit heavier, but they are making huge progress with them. A few years ago you couldn't get anyone to believe that they were going to be the new threat, but they are. With the new CARB laws and peoples thirst for performance, look out for some fast 4 stroke boat engines coming in a few years. Just my thoughts.......
    [ August 29, 2002, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Jungle Boy ]

Boatmaster
    I'm a Merc dealer and have all the new info. on mercs new 225hp four stroke, it's here.

flyinbrian
    Not looking forward to all of the small intricate moving parts and excessive weight.
    Evinrude/Johnson has the technology with the FICHT system to burn as clean as any four stroke.
    Four stroke are working in motocross and Moto GP racing because they have six gears. Look at Moto GP, it takes 990+cc to outrun a 500cc two stroke!
    Blah, blah, blah.
    Major thumbs down to the four stroke outboard. Long live the SCREAM of the two stroke.
    [ August 29, 2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: flyinbrian ]

Whatboat
    How about this 4 stroke, 300+ HP Supercharged inline six.

Kim Hanson
    325 at the prop.......2 stroke.( . )( . ).... [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/untitled3.JPG[/img]
    [ August 29, 2002, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Kim Hanson ]

snappertapper
    lookin good kim

HOSS
    HHHHHMMMMM, a six cylinder with 8 spark plugs, RIGHT! And the FICHT motor is what put OMC outa business. That motor is a piece of shit. I used to work for an OMC dealer.
    Gotta love those bench racing fags!

ratso
    Hoss, the old ficht motor was a piece of shit, I agree, but that was when OMC had them. They were released knowing that there would be problems ahead. I sure hate to see something like that tarnish the reputation of one of the pioneers of outboards.

Kim Hanson
    HOSS
    Backup and "READ",that is LMAO..............That is SUPER-CHARGED right?
    [ August 29, 2002, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Kim Hanson ]

HOSS
    Even now that Bombadier owns them, the FICHT motor is a flop. If they are so good buy one. Or better yet, by someone`s used one they are trying to get rid of. Run clean? OMC had a marketing strategy stating that the FICHT put out less emissions than a Honda car! I guess they were running so lean thats why pistons would melt. I downloaded so many updates into ECM`s that it wasn`t funny. They were also way too damn tempermental about water. Even the slightest amount and these motors will not run. I too think it is a shame that this happened to Evenrude. Grew up with these motors on back of family boats. All my ol` man would run. But the bottom line was and is that the engineers couldn`t get it together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast