Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to do.

Recently had issues with hydro locking, decided to go with tall risers. Just received a used set. After spending a few hours polishing the "polished" risers, I noticed a couple things. 1. when attached to the back of the water log, the exhaust side of the riser runs into the fiberglass, needing to be cut to fit. Then I see, the hole leaving the log is larger than the hole into the tall riser. #1, I don't really want to cut up my boat, #2, there is going to be a performance issue. What would you do.? Its a small block Chevy.

boats&bars
    Post a photo if you could.

502 JET
    Plug the holes in the transom and upgrade to OT headers.
    Gain performance! No worries about hurting performance or cutting up the boat.

boats&bars
    Plug the holes in the transom and upgrade to OT headers.
    Gain performance! No worries about hurting performance or cutting up the boat.
    True. good thinking

I hate being computer challenged! Can't post a picture again, but there is one in "through transom headers or tall risers" post. If I installed headers, isn't there a bunch of plumbing to do? I keep reading about valves and different pressures etc. Sounds like a lot of work. I've been wanting to tow it along side or behind our houseboat, but it's hydrolocked just sitting behind the houseboat. I still think, replacing the exhaust tip inside flapper will do the trick. But I'm thinking the headers will be best. but alot of work. Man, I polished the logs and tall risers, wow, do they look great.

condor tx 19
    ot headers look great and perform great. but also keep in mind insurance companies hate them. thats why i still have manifolds on mine. im probably going to switch to thru transom headers this winter. as soon as i can find a set of used ones. if anyone has some bbc thru transom headers for sale pm me. i also saw you live in sugar grove, i live in sandwich. thought i was the lone jetboat guy around here. where do you boat?

Wilmington, we've got a houseboat there. Where the Desplains,Kankakee dump into and start the Illinois river.

Here it is, almost a month later. I've run the boat a number of times now. Turns out, the hydro-lock issue was due to the burnt up inner exhaust flappers. Instead of being round, they were shaped like the letter "I". That explained why the previous owner never had issues with this. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

ck7684
    Glad you got it figured out. Risers would be extra insurance, but with your current logs I can see why they wouldnt work...here's yours...
    http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7460/dsc00434ws6.jpg
    Here's mine...
    http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3...engine5kg7.jpg
    Note how different the logs sit in relation to height...I think your style would flow much better...

b's sanger
    Switch to ceramic coated headers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast