Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GOT NEW MOTOR NEED NEW PROP

ZSARGO
    LAST YEAR I TRIED NUMEROUS DIFFERENT PROPS ON MY BOAT BEFORE I FINALLY FOUND THE RIGHT ONE. THEN I SOLD MY 2.5. GENIUS. SO HERE WE GO AGAIN. I AM HAVING A NEW 300X INSTALLED ON MY DCB MACH 22 ON TUESDAY. WHAT PROP TO USE? I AM THINKING A 28 PITCH BRAVO OR CHOPPER II. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? TOBY????

TOBTEK
    I just orderd a Lab finished 26 Bravo one with holes. ONLY because I wanted something very WELL-ROUNDED. We are gonna ski,tube, and wake board behind the family cruiser. The FUNNEST prop I tried with a 30 ET AS LONG AS YOUR BY YOURSELF ONLY! it has ZERO ability to get on plane! BUT a blast once you do. Tried a few 28 four blades...they sucked on the bottom were slugish in the mid and didnt have the top end the ET had. If you can wait a bit, do. The new MAXIMAUS is just around the conner. I got the 26 bravo for 95% of the time and im gonna get something like a 30 or 32 maximas or ET for speed runs. The 30ET was hittin almost 90MPH at 6800 RPMs with 5 hours on the motor @ Elisnore...so with more time and better water, I've been told 93-94 isnt out of the question...

ZSARGO
    I USED A 26 ET ON THE 2.5. A CHOPPER WILL WORK MUCH BETTER. TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. YOU'LL GET MORE ON THE TOP END.

HavasuBarney
    With the single 300X, I still think you can't beat the Bravo1. I have a 26 and a matching 28 for the bigger end. On my boat, 26 is a better all around prop.
    TOBTEK, a 30 pitch running 90 @ 6800 seems kinda pointless to me, that about 25% slip. I don't think there is much of a chance your gonna turn a 30 or 32 pitch prop. If your not putting your 26 on the limiter, there's no sense going bigger...
    My boat is about the same size as your, you might out weigh me a little but you should be getting better than 90 with your 26 Bravo1.
    What kind of RPM's are you turning?

HavasuBarney
    I'll see if I can grab Secrets ChopperII and test it this week. Should not be too tough since his motor's hangin in my shop!

ZSARGO
    THANKS BARNEY,
    I WILL GIVE YOU A CALL WHEN I'M OUT THIS WEEK. MAYBE I CAN TRY OUT YOUR PROP IN A FEW WEEKS. BY THE WAY. I SPOKE WITH LOU AND RICH THIS WEEK. THEY TALKED ME OUT OF THE JACKPLATE. THEY SAID ONCE WE FIND THE SWEET SPOT ON THE DANA BRACKET, THERE WILL BE NO NEED TO MOVE IT. ARE YOU A MARINE SHOP OUT IN HAVASU?

HavasuBarney
    Not a Marine shop, I do fiberglass and gel coat repair.
    I have also been running outboards forever, never had a boat with a car motor.
    So Lou and Richie talked you out of a jackplate?
    I hope you did not metion my name, they will oppose anything I suggest. There really good guys though, Lou has been building fast outboards forever, he knows them as good as anyone on Earth.
    But having A sweetspot, that's a bunch of bull. Everytime you run your boat, the load and it's distribution will change, that changes the sweetspot. Lou was an old ski racer, they set the boat up the same everytime. Richie does not run a high performance outboard tunnel.
    Myself, sometimes I run alone, other times with 4 or 5 passengers, big ice chect. If you want to run at your optimum at 100%, a jackplate is NEEDED.
    If you want to have a good set-up, capable of running in all kinds of conditions, with all kinds of loads and run in your upper range at say 90%, then you don't need one.
    I have run both ways and perfer a jackplate.

TOBTEK
    HavasuBarney:
    With the single 300X, I still think you can't beat the Bravo1. I have a 26 and a matching 28 for the bigger end. On my boat, 26 is a better all around prop.
    TOBTEK, a 30 pitch running 90 @ 6800 seems kinda pointless to me, that about 25% slip. I don't think there is much of a chance your gonna turn a 30 or 32 pitch prop. If your not putting your 26 on the limiter, there's no sense going bigger...
    My boat is about the same size as your, you might out weigh me a little but you should be getting better than 90 with your 26 Bravo1.
    What kind of RPM's are you turning? dropped the boat in the beautiful green waters of Elisnore yesterday(tues) and with a brandnew 26 labbed 26 bravo. I was getting all of 7000 rpm's and 87MPH. It wants to go faster, but this prop wont let it. You said your 26 is modified, what has been done?

Boatmaster
    I just sold a customer of mine a mach 22 with a 300X and put a labbed 28 bravo on it. It has a great hole shot and I'm not sure on top end yet. I think this will be a great all around prop. Once again Barney is right! See you all at the BBSP!!

ZSARGO
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE PRETTY CLOSE ON THE PROP PITCH. TRY THE 28 BRAVO. THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT MAY BE THE TICKET.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast