Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CP 19' Open Bow a little closer

Danhercules
    " I think 3/4 race cam is short hand for I dont know WTF I'm talking about".
    Sleeper CP
    Is that bigger or smaller than a double "RV" cam?

Sleeper CP
    Bring that thing up to Aha Quin for Labor day!!!!!
    That's the plan Dan
    That doulbe RV cam deal : yeah I was told by the guy that put it together for me that the 3/4 race cam he used was about 4-6 degrees bigger than a doulbe RV cam and since it was bigger than he wanted to use I think he told me he advanced it something like 11 degrees so it wouldn't rev to high.:idea:
    Sleeper CP
    514" Ford Lover

Weren't 3/4 race cams used only on motors with 5 bolt mains? I seem to
    remember some of the kids from the neighborhood said that.

ck7684
    Well, the "3/4 race" and "full race" cam terms go way way back to early hotrodding days when there werent any specialty camshaft manufacturers. Much less was known and so a guy building an engine for his street car might go buy the factory cam of their racing versions. Since less was available and the specs werent included, they were just refered to as 1/2, 3/4 or full race cams and the names just stuck. I refer to the cam I had in one of my 327's as a "3/4 race" cam because that's what Crane called it back then. I am usually telling people about the engine who dont know engines and it's easier to say "3/4" then to give them specs and watch their eyes glaze over...or maybe you dont want to give the specs for other reasons
    BTW the Crane "3/4 Race" cam had the same specs as the first of 2 different offerings of "Off-Road" cams from Chevrolet in the sixties, so the terms may have still had some relevance even then...

Sleeper CP
    You know you have taken a wrong turn when you have to start explaining humor.....
    Sleeper CP
    514" Ford Lover

Wicked Performance Boats
    The term "3/4 race cam" started with flathead Fords. I've always loved that term. It's funny. I think it means the motor runs out of power at 3/4th track!

Sleeper CP
    I think it means the motor runs out of power at 3/4th track!
    That's what the Nitrous is for. When this thing runs out of steam at 80 I hope the Nitrous helps to pick up another 5 mph.
    "Sleeper" CP
    514" Ford Lover

hotbo
    very nice i like it,wtf i thought this was the boat that had a big ass ford and ran 103.am i misssing something here or what lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Sleeper CP
    Hey Travis,
    Did you read the introduction? The word "Story" is in quotes for a reason; as in " that's my "story" and I'm sticking to it".
    It's a "Sleeper" remember. "Sleeper" is in quotes for a reason. Calling it a "514 " just doesn't sound as intimidating as 565. And I can't tell the difference between a 460 and a 565 from looking at them from the out side, can you?:idea:
    See ya,
    "Sleeper" CP
    565"...I mean 514" Ford Lover. Hell I'll just say Big Inch Ford Lover.

Bahner tunnel
    Personally I would like to run the infamous 1 1/4 race cam. The specs are classified but basically it has zero bottom end , lopes til 4000 rpm and breaks all of my valve train components one piece at a time usually while down river. I think the name originated from needed about 125% more track than normal to actually hit peak power. Who ever said going fast was easy?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast