Thread: The HD Spring Project

HavasuDreamin'
    Check out my spring project by clicking on the HavasuBarney link below. I hope the link works.
    http://www.havasubarney.com/cgi-bin/...=ST;f=44;t=100

Back To Havasu
    Good project on a gorgeous boat HD...did Baker ever tell you why they colored their glass work black? What was it designed to cover, as it apparently didn't match anything in the rest of your interior. Just a thought...

HavasuDreamin'
    I took the boat up there to get a few things done and one of the guys said I need stringers in my tunnels. After removing the side tanks, there was too much flex in the bottom of the outer sponsons which in turn could make the running surface warp with water pushing up against it a 80+ mph. He put his hand down in the tunnel and sure enough, the bottom flexed.
    So I asked how much to install stringers. He said he would check with his glass man, but it shouldn't be anymore than $700 - $800. I said okay, let me know. A few weeks before picking the rig up, I still didn't have a firm quote on the stringers, but the boat was already at the glass shop. I go to pick it up and get a bill for $1,300
    I check it out, and it is structurally sound, but damn ugly. Black resin! It looks like plywood was used for the stringers instead of a quality 2x4 (or equivalent) and worst of all, the glass man didn't clean out the tunnels before the glass work was done. You can see the outline of staples and other debris inbedded underneath the glass. All in all, it looks like shit , so I am going to coat over it with some gel coat to make it look better (blue most likely).
    I chalked it up to another learning lesson.
    #1 Always get a firm quote and indicate that no work should be done until you have a quote in writing.
    #2 Don't let a dealer out source side jobs. Take it direct to the person who will be performing the work and tell him exactly what you want done.
    #3 When all else fails, do the job yourself that way you know it is done right and if it turns out shitty, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    [ January 29, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

snappertapper
    I would use q-cell to fill in the holes and chunks and then some 1.5 ounce matt over top of it.

snappertapper
    I would use q-cell to fill in the holes and chunks and then some 1.5 ounce matt over top of it.

snappertapper