Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BBC tuning help needed

VAMI
    Double check the intake bolts and carb base bolts.You need to pull the valve covers off.Do have the stamped rockers with the lock nuts?Those things will losen up.Check the rocker studs for tourqe.Spin the motor around and watch the pushrods at the guide plate area to see that they are all moving the same amount.Maybe you can have some good luck and just have a few rockers that backed off.

Desert68
    You might also check the ignition system. Ignition troubles can have symptoms like you're seeing. Along these lines maybe pull the distributor to see if the gear is OK. Along with wiped out cam lobes there has been wiped out distributor gears. Zinc additives have been removed from many oils, blah, blah. Rotella is one that still has the good additives. The diesel rated oils still have the zinc additives. I also agree that 20 degrees initial is too much. 36 total seems fine, but like in a drag car you'd fine tune that with top end MPH. The 12 initial, all in by 3200 RPM sounds good, but I don't know boats. A typical street car hot rod would probably have it all in by 3000, maybe even by 2700 or 2800. The guy that said initial doesn't matter isn't wrong. Some guys set up a hard core motor with locked in timing and that's it. As far as vacuum, you listed the advertised duration, but that doesn't tell much - it varies so much from one cam company to the next. Do you know the .050 duration? If you know that, you should be able to get some sort of an idea on vacuum at idle. You get near 250 or 260 degrees duration @ .050 and you's got a pretty lumpy cam that won't have a lot of vacuum. Also see if you know the lobe separation - it also comes into play. That number should be something like 108, 110, 112, etc. I think somebody also mentioned checking for boken valvesprings. You could do a basic check by pulling the valve covers and turning the engine over by hand. One more thing could be a bent pushrod.

El Prosecutor
    . . . A friend commented last night that he saw flames shooting out the headers.
    At least there is an up side to it. That sounds pretty cool to me!
    Seriously though, looks like you are getting some good input here, hope it works out soon.

QuickJet
    If you were just doing quick little start ups here and there, I doubt that it would flatten the cam to where you would notice it. First thing I thought of was the spark plugs. If you were just starting it here and there without any timing in it, you could soak a set of plugs pretty quick. Especially without heating the engine up. Also, was the HEI in the boat before? If you were previously running a points type, you are going to have to swap out the resistor wire to the distributor to a non resistor type.

ol guy
    Hey hot rod just curious as to what oil you fired the motor on.

thatguy
    You might also check the ignition system. Ignition troubles can have symptoms like you're seeing. Along these lines maybe pull the distributor to see if the gear is OK. Along with wiped out cam lobes there has been wiped out distributor gears. Zinc additives have been removed from many oils, blah, blah. Rotella is one that still has the good additives. The diesel rated oils still have the zinc additives. I also agree that 20 degrees initial is too much. 36 total seems fine, but like in a drag car you'd fine tune that with top end MPH. The 12 initial, all in by 3200 RPM sounds good, but I don't know boats. A typical street car hot rod would probably have it all in by 3000, maybe even by 2700 or 2800. The guy that said initial doesn't matter isn't wrong. Some guys set up a hard core motor with locked in timing and that's it. As far as vacuum, you listed the advertised duration, but that doesn't tell much - it varies so much from one cam company to the next. Do you know the .050 duration? If you know that, you should be able to get some sort of an idea on vacuum at idle. You get near 250 or 260 degrees duration @ .050 and you's got a pretty lumpy cam that won't have a lot of vacuum. Also see if you know the lobe separation - it also comes into play. That number should be something like 108, 110, 112, etc. I think somebody also mentioned checking for boken valvesprings. You could do a basic check by pulling the valve covers and turning the engine over by hand. One more thing could be a bent pushrod.
    Yes, I am changing springs to have it all in by 2800. I have only ran my boat twice, so did not want to get too cowboy right of the bat!!

pw_Tony
    Maybe try and get a water bottle and spray some water around the intake and base gasket, if the idle raises then it's a vacuum leak

Wow that's a lot of replies! Thanks! Just got off of work so I'm going to go check it out right now.
    I broke the cam in on the last rebuild when I built it myself. That didn't go very well either. RPM's ranged from 2000 - 3500 for the 23 minutes it ran because I couldn't get the flockin thing to run right (wrong intake manifold gaskets/vacuum leaks), for the most part the range was more like 2500 - 3000. I used 9 quarts of Valvoline and 1 quart of Lucas oil addittive on the cam break-in.
    Here I go...

Desert68
    I meant to mention a break-in additive called GM EOS - General Motors Engine Oil Supplement. Good stuff - add one can to the oil - been around for years. I get it at Chevy dealers. Someone else mentioned a Comp Cams additive. Comp is one of the companies that really stepped up when so many people were seeing new cams getting wiped out. They helped bring out the info about the Zinc being removed from many oils. I imagine their stuff is good, too.
    A few years ago I put an Ultradyne cam in an engine and their break-in instructions were to use only the inner springs for the break-in period, then add the outer springs. First time I had heard of that method. I didn't do it.

All the valves appear to be opening and closing at the same amount. When the engine is off and I check for real loose rocker arms (Pro Comp aluminum roller rockers) none of them are real loose, they all feel correct with no play (hydraulic flat tappet) up or down and I am able to "slide" them side to side with a feeler gauge type of a feel to them (only on the valves that are closed). I sprayed water all over the intake and carb with no change whatsoever. I've tried the initial timing at 0, at 6, at 10, and at 20. I'm going to put it around 14 and then mess with the carb. Popping out the exhaust, runs real rough, sounds choppy instead of lopey, I'm thinking it's running lean. Just got off the phone with the engine builder and he thinks it's timing, he said put the initial between 12 and 18.
    This is my first boat with headers, I got 4 burns in the last half hour or so.
    I must have missed something somewhere...
    oh yea, it's got 9 quarts of Castrol and 1 quart of Schneider oil additive (for zinc content) in it right now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast