Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sea pump pressure?

Obsessive Compulsive
    BDMar, what would you say would be the max water PSI at WOT and still be safe. Thanks.

bordsmnj
    I think you can get them from McMaster Carr. Get an adjustable one with at least a 1/2" pipe threads. Set it to about 25 psi and tee it into the intake side of the sea water pump, and dump it out the transom.
    do any of you guys know the part number for this from McMaster Carr in the largest size (3/4"npt - 1"npt?) this sounds like something i need to use on my latest set up. trying to keep some heat in the motor as well.

BADBLOWN572
    BDMar, what would you say would be the max water PSI at WOT and still be safe. Thanks.
    That is something that I have heard debated quite a few times. You should have block pressure, but not too much. Typically I try to run about 30-35psi at max speed.

Obsessive Compulsive
    That is something that I have heard debated quite a few times. You should have block pressure, but not too much. Typically I try to run about 30-35psi at max speed.
    That is exactly were my motor runs at. Thanks for the input.

acatitude
    OC you might ask Keith, he had some issues with his carrera and I believe 30-35 is the number he was looking for also....I think he put his prv on his sea strainer... he was blowing the seals on his strainer I believe... we have low water pickups and I think he was filing his to get an excepted flow of water at wot

BDMar
    I agree, I like to see 30 to 35 max.

Badburn
    do any of you guys know the part number for this from McMaster Carr in the largest size (3/4"npt - 1"npt?) this sounds like something i need to use on my latest set up. trying to keep some heat in the motor as well.
    For Use with Cold Water
    http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/113/...e/9763kp1l.gif
    Valves have a T-handle for easy pressure adjustment. Pressure setting is held by a locknut. Valves are not factory set to a specific pressure. Max. temp. is 160° F.
    Standard valves have a brass seal. Ranges 0-50 and 0-300 psi have a Type 302 stainless steel spring; range 300-700 psi has a 17-7 PH stainless steel spring. For standard valves, please specify pressure range: 0-50, 0-300, or 300-700 psi. High-pressure valves have a Type 416 stainless steel seal, a 17-7 PH stainless steel spring, and a pressure range of 700-1200 psi. Connections: NPT male bottom inlet and NPT female side outlet.
    Pipe Standard High Pressure
    Size Ht. Each Each
    1/2" 4 1/2" 9763K11 $45.21
    3/4" 4 1/2" 9763K12 45.21
    Cut and pasted from McMaster-Carr I believe Rex Marine sells them too.

don johnson
    Ron at Bad Attitude built me some real cool custom stainless steel popoff valves that he welded directly into the crossover. The pressure is adjusted by changing the springs internally at the desired psi... They worked awesome and look way cool.
    Question, do you have the rear coolant passages on the intake manifold tied together? If not you should. If so, you can bleed some pressure off there by running coolant outboard off the tie lines. This will also help reduce the chance for steam pockets at the rear of the cylinder heads as well pull some block pressure away.
    Good luck!

Badburn
    I'm glad you brought this up, I was looking back there to possibly drill and tap into the manifold at the rear. I dont understand how water could circulate back there when it enters the front and exits the front 6 inches above. I was thinking of running a -6 to each side and then through the relief valve and -8out the transom. This way it would only circulate at high pressure (high speed)
    Any thoughts from the experts?

bordsmnj
    For Use with Cold Water
    http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/113/...e/9763kp1l.gif
    Valves have a T-handle for easy pressure adjustment. Pressure setting is held by a locknut. Valves are not factory set to a specific pressure. Max. temp. is 160° F.
    Standard valves have a brass seal. Ranges 0-50 and 0-300 psi have a Type 302 stainless steel spring; range 300-700 psi has a 17-7 PH stainless steel spring. For standard valves, please specify pressure range: 0-50, 0-300, or 300-700 psi. High-pressure valves have a Type 416 stainless steel seal, a 17-7 PH stainless steel spring, and a pressure range of 700-1200 psi. Connections: NPT male bottom inlet and NPT female side outlet.
    Pipe Standard High Pressure
    Size Ht. Each Each
    1/2" 4 1/2" 9763K11 $45.21
    3/4" 4 1/2" 9763K12 45.21
    Cut and pasted from McMaster-Carr I believe Rex Marine sells them too.
    Nice! thankyou. -jas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast