Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hole shot on 25-26 cat

Boatmaster
    Need any ideas on proping for a fair hole shot? I am spinning Merc four blade cleaver 32x14.5. I need every inch of pitch because I already am on the rev limiters. I have heard of people putting cav plate extenders on the lower units, but man those look like shit. Thats what you put on grandpas 40hp johnrude powered bass tracker to get it on plane, not a 600hp DCB cat. Any help would be great.

HavasuDreamin'
    You need to contact Baker Marine at www.scaryfast.com. You do not need an ugly grandpa planing plate, rather a nasty lookin' polished aluminum drag style planing plate. They do not extend out past the back of the motor, rather they extend off of the side of the motor (top of the gearcase is where it mounts) and they don't look bad. I am going to put one on my 19' tunnel this winter. Everyone I talk to says it helps tremendously in planing. Good Luck.

TOBTEK
    Do you have jackplates on that new 25 Dayonta of yours? If not, im sure with your VAST knowledge you know how they will help in your holeshot and top end speed.......two pennies from Tobtek(slopok)

DUCKY
    Bob's Machine Shop in Ruskin, FL also makes a nice unit. Comes in raw cast aluminum finish, but I had mine powdercoated and it looked great. Tobtek is kinda right, though. A hydraulic transom would help a bunch.

TOBTEK
    are the 300PM and 300x to heavy for jackplate? I want one for the new MACH but DCB said they are not reliable?????

HighRoller
    I'm not an expert on props,but I've heard that the 5 blade props give you a great holeshot although I'm not sure what pitch you would need to equal what you have.I've seen the ads for the Hydromotive,but don't know which application it's for.

jm2drvr
    Hey tob, I was down at dcb today, saw a 22' there with orange flames, is that yours?

Boatmaster
    I'm trying to stay away from jack plates just because I don't want any more wait on the transom.
    I think it would make all the differance on my hole shot but may hurt my rough water ride. Tob Stainless Marine make a killer plate that will have no problem handling that 300. I have two customers with 28 Skaters with 300s and these plates and they hold up fine. Looks like cav plate extendes are the only way to go. Thanks for the ideas.

HavasuDreamin'
    They have made jack plates to hold the Old OMC V-8's, so I don't think the 300X will be a problem. I have two CMC Jack plates. They are excellent. Very thick aluminum, and very nice units. The one I have on my 19' is hydraulic. I actually just polished it up last night. It looks like chrome now. I would run nothing but a CMC. They are top notch!
    Boatmaster, I have heard nothing but good things from the drag style hydrofoils that I mentioned above. Good Luck
    [ October 01, 2002, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Boatmaster
    Do you have a phone # for who might be selling those drag plates?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast