Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone wanna give it a shot?

I have to agree big heavy boats love AA impellers.
    Might have to re cam. or just advance the cam 4 degrees.
    I had a large boat with a B, holeshot sucked, could not pull
    a skier, and it loved the fuel.
    changed to an AA lost 2mph but gained a useable boat.

djdtpr
    These numbers came off of a DTS dyno at 98 degrees room temp and shitty barometrics.
    ROC
    Whos Dyno did you use im only asking cause my buddy has aDTS here in the valley Indio area.

Sleeper CP
    Clownpuncher,
    What are the numbers between 6,400 - 6,600. That would seem to be the better operating range. And do you know how high your friend wants to rev the engine?
    For that big of a boat that is a bunch of rpm's. See the extended impeller rpm chart that I just bumped to page 1. As others mentioned a A, A+ or AA would be a good choice for that big of a boat. Just my .02
    p.s. Since it's a 4,000 lbs day cruiser I wouldn't quess he is going to put nitrous on it is he?
    He can put an impeller in it so it turns 6,200- 6,400 off the bottle and rev to 6,800- 7,000 on the bottle kind of like my brother and I do with our boat. See what it's doing at 6-6,200 on the dyno.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Sleeper CP
    I just looked at the Extended RPM chart and compaired it to the numbers that you posted of 670 lbs ft. at 5200 and 700 HP at 7,000.
    The engine is then making 675-680 HP at 5300 and probably 680-685 at 6,000. It only gained 30 hp over the last 1,800 rpms and most of that was probably gained between 5,200 & 6,000. So that last 30 hp is not really "usable" power because the impeller will "suck up" 50-100 hp over 200 rpms/ above 5,400 rpm's. An A or A+ impeller would probably be a good choice to spin the engine between 5,800- 5,900 rpm's. It will get up and running faster and save a lot of fuel while cruising Just my .02
    What intake maniflod is he running on that thing?
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

clownpuncher
    Man, been out of town for a few days. Thanks for all the replies. Good info.
    Before I asked this question on the boards, I did get an opinion from someone whom I have huge respect, and their same response was basically "AA impeller might do it good". Not to say that any other opinions don't have any merit, but, we're gonna run it with the Legend A/B and go from there. Don't have the dyno sheet in front of me so I can't give those answers at this time.
    The motor is a punched out Merlin 509. Total disp is now 523 cu. The manifold is a single plane, I think Dart? 2 stage 1000 cfm Holley, msd 6m2, heavily massaged Grumpy Jenkins heads flowing 385'ish? and a pretty large LSM cam, damn near 700 lift. Some high end valve train with rocker studs instead of a girdle and some polished springs. Comp is 10.5:1. Total timing is now set at 37 degrees, pump gas.
    Anyhow, should be a fun trip next day or two. Hit the water on Thursday and Friday, drink beer on Saturday and Sunday, back on the H2O on Monday when the crowd goes home.
    I appreciate all the comments/suggestions and I'll let y'all know the outcome when we get back from the river (next week or two )
    Guess I have to confess a lil too. The boats actually mine, I was just flying under I guess. For those of you who've been around a while, my boat is Froggystyles old boat. Some know it well.
    Thanks again for all the responses
    ROC

clownpuncher
    BTW, I'm under the impression that a Legend A/B is equal to a Berk A. Anyone have any decisive info on that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12