Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really Dumb Dip Stick Question

smokinjoe
    would you run your car with one or two quarts low? its an 10qt pan put 10qts in it or risk spinning a bearing if the oil is too low and sloshes away from the pickup. I have a 16 qt pan and i run it at 16 qts and 17 with the filter, no pan evac just breathers on the valve covers and its a BBC with an 8-71 blower and I dont get any oil blowing out from anywhere. valve covers are taller then stock though and that helps to keep it out of the breathers. Just drain your oil and put 8 qts in it and mark the stick and anytime it gets below the mark just add a little and check it again. as long as you dont have any leaks you shouldnt have to add any over the summer then change it out for next season.

1968Droptop
    One of these days I may have to get ahold of one of them large capacity pans. Been awhile since I used a case of oil per oil change, lol....
    I'm sure your wallet is happier that you haven't as well :sqeyes:. Case of oil ain't as cheap as it used to be...but then what is ???
    I run my 10qt. Armondo's pan at 9qt's. I also am running two 1qt filters. I figure 11 qts' is plenty.

ccenters
    why would you have to remove the engine? and the pan??? just change the oil and filter! fill the filter before you put it on then pour the rest of that quart in the pan then start counting.
    in alot of cases most people on a lake boat will use 8 quarts in a 10 qt. pan! you will be surprised at how much oil your engine can puke out if it has 10 qts in it! 8 will be fine.
    I know I can do what you suggest and may end up doing that but I thought maybe someone here might have had the same problem. I just hate pumping all that oil out and putting it back just to get a mark on the dip stick. But, seems like that's what I'll have to do to be "sure"..
    Thanks to all the folks here for the NFO. I guess I start draining oil now
    I forgot to include that the instructions from Molidon were to have the pan on a work bench. Hence remove engine/pan thingy.

Ken F
    Why don't you just take a 6" level, hold it even with the bottom of your pan, and raise or lower the front of your trailer to get the bottom of the pan level?
    You don't need to put it on a workbench.
    Drain the oil, level the bottom of your pan, and put in 8 quarts. Then mark the stick.
    at least you will be able to keep an eye on your oil level.
    Ken F

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12