Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor size suggestion

VIPER
    I'm a newbie here and I have a '78 15' Hydrostream Viper with the origional 80hp Merc on it. I'm wanting to get a bigger motor 'cause 50 mph is getting boring. It's rated for a 120hp but a few guys I talked to said that I should get a`150hp. So what should I be looking for?
    Thanks ahead of time,
    Jim

sam pioske
    At Least !!!!

Tom Brown
    Are you prepared to beef up the transom?
    Personally, I'd put a V4 OMC on there. They are plentiful, cheap, and reliable. Even a 115 will keep you within the rating and will hit pretty hard. A 140 would probably be pretty sweet.
    I hear a guy on Scream & Fly has a 100+ mph Viper. As I recall, his name is Ron. There is a rumor going around that he was recently hurt in a fairly major incident but I suspect this has been kept off their forums.
    Be careful when you overpower a small v-hull. It's funny as hell to think about and doing it will put hair on your knuckles but it seems like these things always hurt or kill the owners eventually.
    By the way, I have a Merc. 260 on a 16 foot Glastron CVX-16. I grafted on a HydroStream style pad using dimensions from the V-king. It seemed like a cool thing to do, and it was, but it's made a bit of a mess of the boat. That engine will soon be swapped for a Merc. 175 because it is so unsafe.

Kim Hanson
    I'm a newbie here and I have a '78 15' Hydrostream Viper with the origional 80hp Merc on it. I'm wanting to get a bigger motor 'cause 50 mph is getting boring. It's rated for a 120hp but a few guys I talked to said that I should get a`150hp. So what should I be looking for?
    Thanks ahead of time,
    Jim
    I would go 2.5, go big! This is my HST rated for 235hp. I run a 340 hp at the prop motor, she rocks my world.........( . )( . ).......cool looking boat, but learn to drive it before the high-speed runs!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...msHST6-med.jpg

VIPER
    Kim, you're on glue!!!!!J/K I don't think that I'd go any bigger then a 150. I want to go a little faster on the water not in the ground. :skull: I would like to keep up or be close to some of the jet boats on the lake. Well, except for my buddy Larry's(waterrat on here) boat. It's a 509ci with a 6-71 stage 2 littlefield blower. It hits over 105mph in less than a 1/4 mile, but 70-75 would take care of most of the boats on the lake up here. I'm in CT and most people who have fast boats are into offshore boats.
    Thanks for your input also Tom. I'm looking now for a motor and will see what comes around.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Tom Brown
    Jim,
    I'm not too familiar with the Viper but a 2.0l Merc 150 on a CVX-16 will push it to 60+. That's quite a bit for those boats and I would think the Viper might be a little faster and a little crazier with the same power.
    For what it's worth, the OMC 140 hp on a CVX-16 will push it to similar numbers. Perhaps short a couple of MPH but no more.
    You might want to ask your question on Byuboyz (http://www.byuboyz.com/) . I'm sure you'll find people there who have done what you would like to do.
    Also, I just checked the International Hydrostream Registry (http://www.hydrostream.org/) and they seem to have all the information you are looking for. They talk about low 90s with a Merc. 200.

Wicky
    TB,
    You forgot the disclaimer!!!!lol.
    mow,
    Wicky
    Allison GSE/225 promax :idea:
    HP rated 150
    P.S. Only one unexpected left hander to date :rollside: :rollside: !!!! I have the scars to prove it :cry: :cry: :cry: !!!

Tom Brown
    TB,
    You forgot the disclaimer!!!!lol.
    mow,
    Wicky
    Allison GSE/225 promax :idea:
    HP rated 150
    P.S. Only one unexpected left hander to date :rollside: :rollside: !!!! I have the scars to prove it :cry: :cry: :cry: !!!

Carlson CVX-16/260 Merc.
    Hp rated 125
    No left hand turns to date but an assortment of other sufficiently terrifying shit.
    Hey Wicky, why don't you buy a drag motor for your GSE and sell me your Promax. I need a new engine for my ski boat.

CrazyHippy
    are we gonna have to get you boys a set of training wheels??? :2purples:
    BJH

sorry dog
    I friend of mine that I run with has a '76 viper and runs a bridgeport EFI (240) on it. I don't believe he has ever propped it all out speed, but it launches rather nice.
    He's owned the boat since new and has had several motors on it so maybe he'll tell you which deal he liked most. He comes around here every now and then.
    I'll tell you this, I'm think a V6 is a lot of fun on one but there are compromises like handling, weight capacity, and coming off plane.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast