Thread: Power trim removal... HELP!

Zaairman
    Just like the title says, I'm removing the power trim from my boat in order to get it rebuilt and new seals put in. Now, I've run into a problem. I cannot get the lower shaft out. The repair manual states that it should just slide out after a few taps with a hammer. Few taps with a sledge hammer later, and it's not budging. Any ideas? Here is a pic for reference... I'd post a pic, but I am at home and have no way of doing it until tomorrow night.
    The shaft runs horizontally through the bottom piece in this picture:
    http://i20.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b3/13/0b08_1.JPG
    It's the shaft that you can see in the top piece in this picture. NOTE: This piece is what is facing the transom...aka I cannot get at it like this.
    http://i9.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/b3/13/0cf7_1.JPG
    The brackets themselves are aluminum (I think). Not sure about the shaft itself. Now, I know what you all are thinking. Heat it up and hit it with a hammer. Ain't gonna happen. This shaft is 1.5" from my transom. No heat can be used.

sorry dog
    I can't really see it from the side to see how well you can get at it... but
    you could try some heat on the bracket or if it was me, I would take it to this diesel engine shop that has a 20 ton press. Last time I needed them to remove an axle from a bearing they wouldn't even take money, but I gave'em twenty anyway.
    You probably got a machine shop close to you. They are usually good guys.

Zaairman
    Well, I finally got it out after SEVERAL coatings of WD40, a BFH, and a punch. Let's never do that again... Good lord. Now I've gotta get the shaft retapped cause the threads are messed up from beating on it so hard. Oh well. Life goes on.