Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outboard brand advice

hunt
    I have been reading the mag for a couple of years now, but I am new to the forum. I have purchased a '80 20ft checkmate as my new project. It is rated for 215hp by the BIA plate. My family has always run Merc outboards, but there are few more choices now days. I am looking for opions on what motor you guys recommend. I am looking at engines around the 2000 year range as I can not afford the $20k for a new power plant.
    200 or 225hp (this is the easy question)?
    Envinrude, yamaha, or Merc?
    Four stroke or two?

Tunnel Vision
    Mercury!
    Go with a two stroke if want performance, if your looking for fuel savings then the four stroke my be your engine but IMO the four strokes are way to heavy.
    Good luck and have fun!
    TV

STV_Keith
    What are your goals for the boat? Fuel economy? Cruising? Top end speed? Acceleration/drag racing? Family of 6 always on board? Lots of options.

hunt
    My goals are, decent top end speed, with verisitlity to pull a skier, Drag racing is not for me, Fuel Ecomony is there such a thing with 200hp plus? I will have 3-4 people on board most of the time. I am thinking of a hydraulic jack plate for the "best of both worlds".

hunt
    I agree with you Tunnel Vission, the four strokes seem a bit heavy. I have not been in a boat with a big four stroke, so I don't know how they run or how loud they are. I am leaning towards the Two stroke.
    I am the odd ball in my group. I am the only boat with an outboard. all my freinds were pushing be to an I/O, but I like being different. Dad had a 19ft Champion with a Mod VP, and now has a 20ft with a 200, he is slowing down with age. All the bass boat guys are running 200-225 Merc, evinrudes, and yamahas. and they all praise their brands.
    Several of my fishing buddies have had problems with the Opimax power heads. Most of them have burnt pistons while still under warrantee. a couple of 200 and one 225. one has replaced his merc with an Evinrude, his boat was faster with the evinrude and he claimed it was easier on fuel. I just think it is the difference in set up.

STV_Keith
    I think you should be looking to a 3liter optimax type motor. Good mileage, good skier pulling torque, fairly quiet and still a 2-stroke. My dad just sold a 250xs (kinda the hot-rod version of the optimax) for $8500ish. If you go straight opti, you could probably find a complete motor for under $6k.

Xlration Marine
    The local dealers that were screwed by OMC, went to yami's. They said they are a very good motor and had no big issues with them. Unlike the last OMC built before the take over. Stay away from those FICHT motors, bad mo jo.

1986 Crusader
    Mercury 100% Best Outboard Out there

73kona455
    you really cant go too wrong with an evinrude.. yamaha.. or mercury..all the later model stuff is pretty good...

Towndrunk
    Mercury 2.5 liter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast