Thread: Dominator loader

Slowboy
    My Dominator pump has an intake loader, shoe, and ride plate. My question is on the loader. How far should the loader stick under the bottom side of the boat, in turn grabbing water? I have heard it should actually be about 1/4 inch up inside the intake and not stick out at all. Right now it stickes out arond 1 inch below the intake. Im sure there is a difference for water conditions or handling, but where should it be for maxium top end speed?
    Thanks, Ryan

BrendellaJet
    That sounds a little low. Best way to tell is to trim a little at a time until you trimmed too much, then press the undo button.

Ken F
    Ryan,
    Something doesn't sound right there. It's hanging down 1" below the bottom of the intake?? Where are you measuring from? You should measure from side to side acorss the flats of the intake. I'd bet you are around 1/4" below that. (or should be)
    Ken F

Duane HTP
    The depth of your top loader runners has a lot to do with your boat bottom type. Is it a rounded bottom, does it have a dropped keel or does it have a flat delta pad in front of the intake? Rounded bottoms usually run a little above keel line. Delta pad boats sometimes have to have some runner below the boat to get enough water at higher speeds.

Slowboy
    I really cant measure good across, because there are two "fins" on each side of the intake. The bottom of the boat is flat in front of the intake like a pad. I crawled under the boat again and looked from the front and the loader ramps are definatley sticking down about one inch. Would trimming this make it faster, or leave it alone. Right now it is running 71.6 with a junker 358 small block I threw together. I would like to tune it to get it closer to 80.
    I have already milled the A impeller to a AB on my friends milling machine. I might try cutting it a little more to get some more RPM and get into my power band a little better, but would like to get the intake working the best I can. I checked the bottom of my hull for hook and dont seem to have any.
    Thanks for the help,
    Ryan

MudPumper
    we need pics

IMPATIENT 1
    I really cant measure good across, because there are two "fins" on each side of the intake. The bottom of the boat is flat in front of the intake like a pad. I crawled under the boat again and looked from the front and the loader ramps are definatley sticking down about one inch. Would trimming this make it faster, or leave it alone. Right now it is running 71.6 with a junker 358 small block I threw together. I would like to tune it to get it closer to 80.
    I have already milled the A impeller to a AB on my friends milling machine. I might try cutting it a little more to get some more RPM and get into my power band a little better, but would like to get the intake working the best I can. I checked the bottom of my hull for hook and dont seem to have any.
    Thanks for the help,
    Ryan
    your already measuring wrong, you want loader depth in correlation to keel not the lifting strakes
    i'm also runnin a dominator 12, i'm runnin my loader at keel level and my shoe depth is at 1/16th below keel. the shutdown is straight, and the boat airs out great:devil:

Slowboy
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...umpdump018.jpg
    These pictures are a few weeks old. I have repaired the bent shoe, and made the fasteners for the shoe flush with the shoe. I have not changed anything with the loader.
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...umpdump019.jpg
    Ryan

Duane HTP
    To get the correct answer to your original question, with that flat bottom, I would put on an intake pressure gauge. Read it and see what your intake pressure is at WOT. Then start cutting your runners back at about 1/8" at a time. On each cut, record your intake pressure and speed. IF your speed pickes up, keep cutting until it no longer picks up. When it quites picking up speed, make note of your intake pressure again and see if it is coming down some. You don't want the intake pressure to get too low. If it does, the the pump may start slipping on top end. Going from 71 to 80 mph with a loader change in not immpossible, but it is very unlikely. That takes HP.

Slowboy
    Thanks Duane,
    Im not looking to gain 9 mph with just the loader. If I could get a couple of MPH with the loader, and a couple more with some more impeller machining, (getting into more of my power band) maybe with everything adding together I can get there. I am planning on putting together a 434 sbc for next year, something that makes more torque than the little 350.
    Thanks again, Ryan