Thread: tachometer questions.

jungledave
    #1 The tach in my 83 Sleekcraft Kauai doesn't work. Is there any way of fixing it or do I just have to replace it? #2 I put in a Gm hei unit on my olds in my 76 Kauai and now the tack shows engine Rpm in the 4200Rpm range as oposed to 5000 rpm with the original malory point distributor. Does the hei mess up the reading or was I only turning 4000 rpm before. It sounded a lot closer to 5000 RPM. the tach in the 76 is also the original tach and matches all the other guages.

Slowboy
    On the first tach, I would make sure you have power and a good ground, Then I would check for continuity through the tach signal wire to make sure it is in good condition. If all is well, I would replace the tach if it were mine.
    On the second tach, I have a snap on timing light with a built in digital tach in the head of the light. I would see if you could borrow one similar from a friend, hook it up and compare them. The timing lights tachs are very accurate and work good for troubleshooting.
    Ryan

jungledave
    On the first tach, I would make sure you have power and a good ground, Then I would check for continuity through the tach signal wire to make sure it is in good condition. If all is well, I would replace the tach if it were mine.
    On the second tach, I have a snap on timing light with a built in digital tach in the head of the light. I would see if you could borrow one similar from a friend, hook it up and compare them. The timing lights tachs are very accurate and work good for troubleshooting.
    RyanI guess I will buy a new tach for the first one and then compare it to the second and use it to trouble shoot and then go from there. thanks for the info.