Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transom mounted LWP

Tom Brown
    I'd like some detail on running a transom mounted LWP. Bob's has the pickups but what do people run for a pump? A high volume fuel pump perhaps? Does someone have a kit with all this stuff in it?
    Thanks,
    Tom

You talkin external water pump for outboard?

Tom Brown
    Yes.
    Will a Holley Blue put out enough CFM to cool a V6 Merc? For that matter, can it be backed down to 20 psi? Perhaps there is a better pump.
    [ April 29, 2003, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

That's what I thought. I have no idea.
    All my outboards got the pumps in em.
    I'm sure they'd lend a hand though at your "other" favorite forum.

I wouldn't want to try water through a Holley, hell they can't even handle the water in gas without seizing up. (steel vanes)
    Perhaps a water pump designed for a race car application. I'm just not familiar with em.
    [ April 29, 2003, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Tom Brown
    Thanks, Mike.
    * I asked mike to have a look at my question because I thought he might have a kit with all the stuff I need.

Tom Brown
    This might be a good use for a BBC/jet pump.
    [ April 29, 2003, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

TIMEBOMB
    Tom
    Cougar boats runs them instead of a low water pickup/nose cone. I think they leave the water pump/impeller in the lower and just use the transom mount to supply the existing pump. Maybe Cougar boats can shed some better light??? Gary.

Zuumer
    Tom,
    What size engine. We install them a lot on 300's as there's a fitting in the midsection under the cowl pan. We install the pickup thru the hull at the lowest available spot near the transom then run a check valve and SS braided hose up to the engine fitting. Very clean and works great. We angle cut the pickup tube where it protrudes throught the hull and keep it very short to eliminate drag. No pump required.
    Hope this helps,
    Ron

TIMEBOMB
    Zuumer
    Now you have me curious. My 2.4L bp has a tuner plate that was moditied and has a fitting that runs into the water jacket under the power head. It had this big hardware store type check valve and was capped. I removed the check valve and just put the cap back on the fitting. What type check valve do you use and where can I get one? I have all the pickup and hardware. Right now is the perfect time to add/re-install the external water pickup, as the powerhead is off. Any ideas?? Thanks Gary. smile_sp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast