Thread: big block cutting out

redwavecrash
    i have a stock 89 454 my fuel pump went out so i replaced it and the fuel filter and the filter on the quad carb now it will run but will shut off just like u turned the key off it might do it after 10 min or just 1 min it will allways start right back up we had sum air in the lines after putting it the fuel pump back on i worked all the air out of the system and it still does the same thing any help would be great even a place to start looking thanks

BDMar
    If it shuts off instantly as if you turned the key off I would look at somethinng electrical. Possibly a coil, or loose ignition wire usually purple. Check the wire at the ignition switch at the terminal marked "ign". Then work your way back.
    If you are getting air in the fuel system it is probably a loose fitting on the suction side. If the engine dies that quick and then restarts without cranking, then I dont think it is fuel related. The carb would have to run out of fuel to die, then re-fill the bowl before it would start again. For the carb to run out of fuel the pump would have to stop working so the whole fuel system would be empty. It would not start up right away again.

Moneypitt
    i have a stock 89 454 my fuel pump went out so i replaced it and the fuel filter and the filter on the quad carb now it will run but will shut off just like u turned the key off it might do it after 10 min or just 1 min it will allways start right back up we had sum air in the lines after putting it the fuel pump back on i worked all the air out of the system and it still does the same thing any help would be great even a place to start looking thanks
    Sure sounds like an ignition problem, un related to fuel. I would try a "hot wire" to the plus side of the coil (IGN on thecap connector)and see if it still does it. If not, then the problem is between the battery and the coil, (switch, wires etc.) If it still does it my next guess would be the module. Any HEI vehicle should have a spare module in the vehicle at all times.......That seems to be the weak link in those ignition systems.......And yes, they can be on again, off again.....Also check the under side of the rotor, look for carbon tracing. Some of the less than perfect ignition parts will arc thru the rotor to the dist shaft, although that usually just creats a miss, not total failure............MP
    PS Is the pump in the tank? or on the motor??.........

My Brother Had A Simular Prob With An Older Malibu. We Adj. Floats. Tried A New Carb. Tried A New Fuel Pump(mech), Tried An Electric Pump. Every Time He Hit The 4 Barrel Open It Would Starve And Die. Started Looking At The Fuel Tank Found The Breather Was Plugged. Thought That Would Do It And It Didn't(helped Though) His Problem Turned Out To Be Seperated Fuel Line Within The Tank (right At The Top Where The Line Slipped Into An Elbow) . We Bent One Up Out Of Some Brake Line And Replaced It And No More Suckin Air. DO YOU HAVE A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE?

redwavecrash
    the pump is on the motor and is the hei module in the in the cap or is it above my fuel/water sep... ???

SmokinLowriderSS
    On an HEI, the coil is the only thing in the cap.
    The module is in the lower part of the distributor, on 1 side I believe. Sorta bent/angled little rectangular box, with a plug on it.
    Hope the pickup coil isn't having a wire break (I had this happen once). It cannot be removed untill the dist. is removed, the gear removed from the shaft, and the shaft pulled out.
    When I had it happen tho, it did not make connection again, at all.
    Definitely ignition trouble sounds like to me.

squirt
    Probably electrical. Very important to check all grounds, make sure your neg cable on the batt is tight and the block conection is free of paint and rust

Yeh Fuel Or Fire. I Wouldn't Rule Out Either Until You Can. Do You Have A Fuel Pressure Gauge Or Not? Even If It's Not Your Problem I Wouldn't Hit The Water Without One.

redwavecrash
    i replaced two fuel lines that we belived to be sucking air and the boat runs fine it just has a rough idle at first but smothes out as it warms up thanks for all the input

Moneypitt
    i replaced two fuel lines that we belived to be sucking air and the boat runs fine it just has a rough idle at first but smothes out as it warms up thanks for all the input
    That is great, except it doesn't jive. If it were starving for fuel it wouldn't start right back up. You may have jiggled a wire or something....Carry a spare module, it could save a weekend..............MP