Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new project- Bonneville car

N281PONY
    I tried to go see the flats one time......but all I saw was a sign and a big lake.

steelcomp
    I tried to go see the flats one time......but all I saw was a sign and a big lake.LOL...yeah, that's one of the challanges of Bonneville, is the weather.
    It can be sunny in the pits, and raining on the course, or the other way around. The wind can dry the track in a few hours, or it can sit under an inch of water all week. Ya just never know.

Boostedballs
    That car is going to be a thrill!
    I am a SCTA member and I was going to race my turbocharged Injected LT1 Chevy Monza this year but I am dealing with job-related delays instead.
    Hmm, go 200+ on the flats or go zero behind a desk?
    I chose poorly...

LandSpeedRacer
    Hey, nice project, looks like you guys are having fun. Out of curiousity, what tires are you running to go 350+? I've got a pair of Allstates (still looking for 2 more), good to 300, but want to go faster. Even the 300's were expensive and hard to find.
    We are building a 1948 Crosley Competition Coupe. It is the old #904 Freeland and Corcoran supercharged Corvair Comp Coupe that ran 1974 and 1975. Originally, I built the engine in my flat for the Crosley and needed a place to test it: my 1970 Super Sanger. We are having so much fun doing the hot boat thing - the salt can wait another year. Besides, I'm still trying to get the 4-turbo set up to work with the v-drive. The engine loves RPM and hates the bite of the prop. I thought I would have more trouble trying to get 4 turbos to work, and as it turns out, that has not been the problem at all. Runs great. It is transmitting the power to the water that has been the challenge. Before I go to a transmission I'm trying other ideas that won't add so much weight. Still fun trying new stuff though. We will run a 4-speed with a Halibrand quick change on the salt. Starting chassis fab probably in October. We'll leave Shiver Shot together and build a new engine combo with all the lessons learned.
    Hope to see you guys out there in '08 or 09. You know how it is, Speed is money, how fast do you want to go?
    Good luck to you guys.
    Scott

RitcheyRch
    Nice little project there and please keep posting pictures.

steelcomp
    Boostedballs...I know what you're saying...sometimes we wish our choices were more of a choice than they really are.
    Is the Monza your creation? I think I remember seeing one or two out there before.
    LSR...I'm not sure about tires. Goodyear funnycar front runners I think, on the front, but I don't know about the rears. I know tires are a huge issue with these speeds.
    Isn't it always the case, getting the power to the surface-what ever it is. Water, dirt, salt, asphalt. Your boat is off the hook, and if your car turns out anything lke it, I'll want to see that.
    We're planning on being in the inspection line come Speedweek '08. Hope to see ya around.
    RitcheyRch...thanks. The pics will come slowly, and can't give away too much detail. I already got busted for posting these. (Thanks Danny...LOL)

LandSpeedRacer
    Thanks man
    I have front runners too but was not sure if I could run them up to 300. The Allstates are for the rear, and I am looking for some steel 6-pin rims to go with my (Sprint Car) live axle quick change.
    Keep us posted, I'm always interested in B-ville cars.
    Don't know if you are aware, look to he salt later in Sept and Oct for Steve Fossett / Richard Branson and Craig Breedlove's old hot rod - trying to crack 1000mph and bring back the lsr to the USA.
    Also, North American Eagle can't be ruled out as well as my buddy Waldo Stakes and Sonic Wind.
    Have a safe weekend.
    LSR

steelcomp
    Thanks man
    I have front runners too but was not sure if I could run them up to 300. The Allstates are for the rear, and I am looking for some steel 6-pin rims to go with my (Sprint Car) live axle quick change.
    Keep us posted, I'm always interested in B-ville cars.
    Don't know if you are aware, look to he salt later in Sept and Oct for Steve Fossett / Richard Branson and Craig Breedlove's old hot rod - trying to crack 1000mph and bring back the lsr to the USA.
    Also, North American Eagle can't be ruled out as well as my buddy Waldo Stakes and Sonic Wind.
    Have a safe weekend.
    LSR
    Thanks for that heads up. I've been "off the salt" for several years so just getting back in the mainstream.
    The front runners were all anyone had in production to go 300 a few years back. I was in the middle of all that when Llingenfilter, Pitts, and a few others were trying for ther 300mph stock body record. I built a Firebird for John Raines with a turbo V6 that ran (I think) 296, and shattered the production record. At that time there were a few stock body cars, I think three Firebirds and Cook's T Bird, that were knocking on 300. They were mostly using the front runners, some on all four corners. I remember after one run in the 290's, Lingenfelter came back with two shredded rear tires. It was decided that the front runners weren't up to 1000+hp as drivers. I'll know moere about tires after the weekend.

LandSpeedRacer
    I too have seen some guys run Frontrunners on the rear, and they do not handle it. The other bad thing is the diameter being small really keeps the speed down. The Allstates I have are right off the Superbird LSR car, still mounted and balanced. I may just drill my 6-pin hubs to accept them or swap axles. We'll see come Sprint Car swap meet time . . . . :idea: :idea: :idea: I also need to change my ring and pinion, I am running a 4.86 and have a set of 30K gears, which if set up low gives me a 8.42 low end and a high gear of 2.80. If I go to a 4.11 I will have a high gear of 2.37. A 3.73 R&P would be much better yet . . . . :idea: With the tall tires, if you guys are out there maybe you can give me a push
    For some real good reading and a VERY helpful and good LSR resource, go to Sonicwind.com. Waldo will answer anything and is a very approachable and great guy. He is one of the last of the liquid fuel rocket guys who really knows his sh_t when it comes to going over 300mph. His latest project will blow your mind. He has great ideas on LSR design and if you have anything you are unsure of as far as design and safety, ask him, I am sure he would help. Great guy and a big hot boat fan.
    Scott

franky
    Scott, I'll be at Bonneville 9-11 thru 9-15 to assist with a 2.0 liter streamliner. The salt is a whole other world, sort of humbling in the grand scheem of things. A huge expanse of nothing, nothing at all, and the Utah flats are spit in the bucket compared to the salt flats down under...Good luck with the project, but most important, have fun..........Ray
    Who's car Ray?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast