* Edit: THOR added to the list
It's interesting how futile the discussions about drinking and operating motor vehicles are. There are two opinion camps on this subject and that's that.
Something I take as clear fact on this, but shouldn't, is that people who downplay or support drinking and driving are people who drink and drive. It seems so obvious, I haven't put much thought into it until just now.
I wonder if there is anyone who doesn't drink, who thinks it's OK to drink and drive once in a while. Maybe just a short trip back to the launch ramp and a few miles through town to return home.
The first name that comes to mind is RiverDave. I find Dave's arguments reasonable and logical, largely. They do not, however, seem objective. His arguments, as I understand them, support the idea that a skilled operator can consume some limited quantity of alcohol and still operate a vehicle better than average. This strikes me as reasonable on some level. RD has an OUI so, at least at some point in his life, his situation supports the original hypothesis of this thread.
There is another member of ***boat who drinks and drives. I've seen it. I've heard several others tell me they've seen him. He even posted a story about it. Yet, I've seen him post that he has never, and would never, drink and drive. Further, he has gone on about how little respect he has for people who do so. People even commended him for his position. I wonder if he believes what he's posted? I suspect he does.
When I speculate on the odds that Moneypitt, Wet Dream, THOR, and other people who are defensive about OUI, as it relates to boating safety, I would put the odds they've operated a vehicle intoxicated recently at 100%. I'm not talking about what they say they do... I'm talking about real life.
If I were an enforcement officer, I would watch out for people who are quick to question the dangerous effects of alcohol as unproven and overstated. It would not be entirely ethical to watch for their boats on the water and scrutinize them extra closely, but it would be difficult not to.
Opinions? Discussion? Death threats?