Thread: BBC longer than BBO?

Boostedballs
    When I built the rear seat in the Kona, I placed it about 4 inches from the crankshaft pully on the Olds. Now I'm switching to BBC and I know the BBC is a little longer. Does anyone know how much longer? It would look really stupid to have a hole in the seat with a pully sticking through it.
    I wonder if I can just machine the dampener to make it into a pully. Might have to go serpentine so I won't cut too deep into the ballancer.

Duane HTP
    NO! Don't cut or drill on a dampner. It can come apart and cause serious damage or injury.

speedymopars
    When I built the rear seat in the Kona, I placed it about 4 inches from the crankshaft pully on the Olds. Now I'm switching to BBC and I know the BBC is a little longer. Does anyone know how much longer? It would look really stupid to have a hole in the seat with a pully sticking through it.
    I wonder if I can just machine the dampener to make it into a pully. Might have to go serpentine so I won't cut too deep into the ballancer.
    Many of the new motors from Mopar have a machined balancer from the factory, and when my buddy put a SBC in his 914 he was out of room so a machine shop grooved his balancer to accept a belt for the alternator.
    In otherwords, it's sound in theory. Just make sure there is enough meat in the balancer to not cause issues.

IndianaTahiti
    I think he wants to know the measurement difference in the length of the two different engine blocks!

I believe the difference is less than an inch, but not positive. Since you have the Olds, you can measure that. The BBC is 23.63" from timing cover mounting face to bellhousing mounting face. Add to that approximately 3.75" to the front of a single groove pulley mounted to the dampener, for a total of approximately 27.5"

I swapped out an Olds for a BBC in a Rogers jet boat, I never moved the stringer feet for the mounts, and the BBC was exactly 1/2" shorter than the Olds engine.

ck7684
    V8 swapped into a Fiero requires a balancer/pulley, however, I wouldnt DYI...also with a BBC you would need to rebalance the rotating assembly if you change the balancer weight...
    Keep in mind that when a balancer comes apart it is not much different than a hand grenade going off!!