Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 GT Johnson.. Whatever happened to the V-8's??

projohnson
    It seems the more I try and find out anything about these motors the less anybody wants to talk about them. All I really want to know is if anybody knows where I can find some for sale or to rebuild. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Boatmaster
    There all blown up by now! Buy two 300Xs and call it good. After all once you go black you you will never go back!!!

snappertapper
    look on ebay, they are on there all the time.

projohnson
    Somebody told me that they weren't that bad of a motor if you ran the right RPM's... is there any truth to that or were they really that bad of a unit??

snappertapper
    actually they were good motors even to be run hard but the problem was the lower units, so much torque they liked to break drive shafts.

STV_Keith
    They are big motors and don't usually like to turn big RPM. 6k tops. Very reliable if you ran them under 6k.

projohnson
    Is there any marina's or salvage shops that anyone knows of that might carry the 300's??

STV_Keith
    What are you looking for? My dad has 1 complete one.
    [ March 28, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: STV_Keith ]

Kim Hanson
    I run a big " RUDE ", its only a 275~~325hp......( . )( . )....Mine was just rebuilt too, so maybe there is something to the blowin up part of it..lol [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72kimsHST6-med.jpg[/img]

HavasuDreamin'
    I have heard the V-8's run the same gearcases the OMC V-6's run. I know several guys with OMC V-6's that have blown up their gearcases. I couldn't imagine how many cases one would go through with a V-8.
    On another note, has anyone ever heard of someone mating a Merc gearcase up to a V-8? If I ever won the lottery, pig_flyi I would try to mate a highly modified V-8 up to a bravo style IMCO extreme gearcase. eek! That would be one bad a** combo on a 21' tunnel.
    [ March 28, 2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast