Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 GT Johnson.. Whatever happened to the V-8's??

Kim Hanson
    Mine also runs a V6 gear case and mine made some awful noises last summer in Kelowna, don't think its a goner though. They would have called me by now and told me the bad news......( . )( . ).....

snappertapper
    yea HD i think someone has done that, but i cant really remember.

Tom Brown
    This picture shows a couple of my buddies looking over an OMC Sea Drive at a wrecking yard. It's a 4.0 liter OMC V8. The picture doesn't show the gear case very well but it's the largest gear case I've ever seen (by a thick margin).
    My understanding is that most of them came with this behemoth sized case (with the exception of the F1 engine). Of course, anyone who wanted to go fast had to go to a V6 case.
    Check out the massive transom mount on that bad boy. It's hydraulic steer too. This is definitely a more-is-more design.
    By the way, it's complete, running, and probably still forsale. The guy wanted $5000 CDN.
    -- Tom

[ March 30, 2003, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

HOSS
    When I worked on the Rude 300`s I would stand on a ladder. Things seemed like they were 8 ft. tall. Rumor had it that the federal government put a stop to production because drug runners used them the cross the pond and they had nothing available to catch em. Fed go fast wasn`t up to par. Don`t know how true but I actually heard that also from a guy who was on the OMC board.

Kim Hanson
    Thats funny " HOSS "when so many say us " RUDE " guys are slow, proof is in the pudding. I use what ever I can to work on mine from doubled up milk crates to sitting on it. The other one that I couldn't believe how heavy the lower unit was till you change out your water pump, made me think about the transom-pickup instead......( . )( . )......

snappertapper
    i have read in magazines that drug runners used to run them as well, they also used the 235's alot but if im not mistaken OMC actually built a motor especially for gov't uses it was a 4.0 as well.

Charley
    I flat out loved my 300....... 6000 RPM's all day long wink
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38blkboat.jpg[/img]

Kim Hanson
    Charley, that boat is " TITS ".....( . )( . )... wink

rrrr
    Boatmaster:
    There all blown up by now! Heheh, my first visit to the outboard asylum, and there's funny fockers over here too..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12