Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boat trailer VIN search

GAWnCA
    I've actually had a DMV employee tell me to grind off the vin plate, repaint the trailer and fill out the forms saying I built it... this was after 2 years of trying to a new trailer that was never titled registered in my name. Long story short, it was brand new, but about 3 years old and had never been titled. It just sat in a very well know trailer builders shop after a custmer never coughed up the cash to pay for it.
    There's a problem with that though, there is an acid wash that will lift the numbers back so they are visible... Just like they do with guns that have been used in a crime and the numbers ground off. I wonder how many hot trailers are running around because of advice like this? :messedup:

biggraypig
    Get a form from the DMV, have your local freindly police officer come over check the numbers fill out the form and you are good to go.
    Done it on vehicles and trailers, as long it is not stolen there is no problem.

Get a form from the DMV, have your local freindly police officer come over check the numbers fill out the form and you are good to go.
    Done it on vehicles and trailers, as long it is not stolen there is no problem.
    here in CA ... that form is called a "Statement of Facts" (SOF) form.
    Carfax.com should give you the registered owner, any information on their address, etc ... then you go down and fill out the form ... stating the facts of why you do not have the necessary paperwork, fill out an application ... and you're good to go.
    If they need an inspection, usually you have to bring it down to the DMV ... but most likely, they'll just take the SOF form & app ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12