Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laveycraft info!!!

63stevens
    Anyone know of a model called a class c or model c. Built in the 70's

v-drive
    Check with circlejerk as he is the old laveycraft guru.....v-drive

CircleJerk
    Anyone know of a model called a class c or model c. Built in the 70's
    Mr. Stevens,,,,,,DON'T YOU LISTEN TO ANYONE ELSE? At 450 posts, you sure have a lot to say but what have you learned???? BAD BOY!
    Pay attention this time, OK? From memory, cant find my notes......L-Boat brief history lesson #1:
    Model C started as Bud or Pat Murphy's WOOD E-boat which was FAST and would have set records until something penetrated its bow and the damage was so severe that it was retired from racing (something others should do but dont get the message) and turned into the plug to make the GLASS Model C ,trunk style, fastest circle boat for its day! It's Still, the fastest chute speed circle boat period. The actual date of production is still a mystery, but who cares! It's children were hatched in 1971 or early 72 the firstborn being Pat Murphy's replacement being 'Go For Broke'. The second child, possibly a girl was 'Gone Broke' driven masterfully by the 'God of Circular Speed' Paul Grichar!
    Still listening? OK, when this Grichar Super Stock killing machine finally hit the water in 1972 at St Pete, it started in the BACK (no disrespect here but gee Gritch come ON) and flew by all 13 competitors in 4 laps at a pace estimated to be 10 mph faster than any Ss boat there or anywhere! However, he and the boats owner Ron Cuellar were protested and torn down. Nothing illegal was found! Still they were DQed! That means you lost MR. S! The inspector said,"I know you have something illegal cause NO boat is that fast"!
    At Dayton Ohio in 1973, with the same nameless inspector present, three boats pushed Paul to the beach, WITH NO FOUL CALLED! Then, more tear downs and NO legal wins. Multiple races later, at the 1974 Nationals, a certain Seattle official required the inspection to follow the rule book and the team won its first race and many, many more followed. Sponsored by the Justis Brothers and still running the famous (GN#305) power of Grich, the C model Lavey is a boat racing legend just like its driver. I hear the boat was destroyed in a speed ski race and someone has what's left of the most famous Lavey SS26.
    Now, dont be sad cause there were many to follow from the Pico Boat Shop and it sounds like you found one. The who's who of racers lined up to order this new L-boat: Mike Conti & Carl Grossman, Jack Kiley, Winn Phillips, Truitt Beal, George Nordling, Gordon Jennings Sr, Don Smelling, Ken Dorn, Robert Clune, Brent Berge, Mario Squallis, and on and on. You might think that by the number that have surfaced on this and other forums might indicate that lots were built. How wrong you are Toto, they are only the easiest to identify by their unusual trunk lid and long graceful deck. That's my own interpretation, I do have access to the actual factory record books if you care to argue the point.
    One last tid bit of fact or folklore: Certain 'Kings' (not Gorgy, he was a polisher then) of the sport not only pushed the little (narrowest transom of all) L boats to the beach, or rammed them as their only way to pass! Whether this cruel act was on purpose or by accident still remains a mystery to me but very very interesting pit talk no?! And I'll admit, L-boat drivers finally did the same in retaliation ! Boy, did I miss some excitement while the jErK was drag racing......... Just remember Mr. Stevens, it takes an experienced expert Lavey driver to NOT have a Lavey Limp, (this is the result of flipping one) but boy what a rush if you are Man enough!
    PS: I have one of the fastest survivors for sale. Maybe its last race will be Burley 2007.
    How did I do Jerr, Mikie, Gorgy and Benford?

v-drive
    Damn good job.....v-drive

CircleJerk
    One last bit or tidbit, not just the b-boat but the L-boat, Aquacraft, Rayson, Jones Starfire and others were pioneers in circle race bottom design that many copied, to my knowledge. And, everyone experimented with different tricks to get the boat to pivot on its left side and tear loose its right or in other words, TURN. Others might 'chime' in here with their knowledge but I just heard that Mr. Jones himself was investigating changing the Starfire to a mismatched hull shape with the left being flatter than the right. The L boat DID have a different left side bottom contour and width than it's right! Hense, as I am told by the 'Circular God', this flatter-wider left side would actually suck or stick to the water on a turn while the right narrow side would tear free so it can lift-pivot and turn hard. Of course, the right side also had a longer turnbuckle pivot arm. That pushed the left chine down and slightly lifted the right to prevent wet drivers and broken boats.....And the wild rocker sent this boat into orbit in the straight! If you are brave, and have any horsepower, you will experience driving through a transition where the hull actually takes off and flys, this happens somewhere around 80+. I don't and havent.
    An experienced race boat driver told me that with my left hand turning prop, our L-boat shocked him that it turned so well LEFT! And our L-boat is for sale, I am too old to be going that fast! It is a very good ski-drag and cruising craft! We know, its been in our garage for 8 years and created 2 'Circular God Wannabees'!........

CircleJerk
    Damn good job.....v-drive
    Ya but wait till 'Gorgy' sees it! Or the other 'King'......I'll hide up North, they cant afford the GAS to get to me! Anyone notice this bald guy spins to the left?

CircleJerk
    We love our Lavey but the wife has retired and prefers a Jones now! Dang it, and if a certain someone puts her in a 'b-boat' she may never wash another dish, pot or pan...... :cry: And Flat-Stupid is right, she will set a record with a flurry of right kicks to my left cheek!

63stevens
    Thanks for the info. My limited info on Lavey craft was correct. I thought the "c" was the trunk style circle boat but I wanted to be sure.

Dave Sammons
    We love our Lavey
    Boyd...I was just thinkin' of you on Saturday. I was out at Harlan Orrin's place and I couldn't help wondering how fun it would be to rig the C-model he has, put a smallblock in it and go have some fun in the Nostalgia Flat class down here Would have to rig it with righthand drive though!!

GofastRacer
    Boyd...I was just thinkin' of you on Saturday. I was out at Harlan Orrin's place and I couldn't help wondering how fun it would be to rig the C-model he has, put a smallblock in it and go have some fun in the Nostalgia Flat class down here Would have to rig it with righthand drive though!!
    Hey Dave, is it still sitting on that pile of dirt behind the shop??, last time I talked to him he was thinking of cutting the deck off and putting a wood deck on it!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast