Thread: Picked up a mid 70's Tahiti

letsride24-7
    Hello, This is my first post. Just picked up a project "project tahiti" it will be. $250.. With trailer. Needs alot of love but is only missing seats and just have to tie up some loose ends. Think I will go over the entire drive line and trailer before spending to much on looks. This is also my first boat. Thanks!!

maxwedge
    Sounds cool. What type of tahiti? Just about can't go wrong at that price. Post up some pics if you can.

jetboat
    been were your going more than once.however your purchase price was a give away.some advice,once you start opening the candy box,you won't stop until its all gone!theres lots of goodies you can buy,and if your very handy,got lots of helpfull friends,have fun.on my third project for a buddy,the the average cost!over alot.but what a ego trip when there done.theres lots of knowledge on this suite,so ask away,and watch the knuckels!

letsride24-7
    Thanks Guys.. I'm still waiting for the title for the trailer and the guy to find the registration. But its 18ft long, i'm thinking its a tiger? It's got the Berkley 12JC jet, Bassett Headers. It came with the 455 "Now in the shed" that i believe spun a rod and in it's place is i think a rocket 350 olds.. But i do have a sweet 383 stroker for my 67 Camaro that's pushing 550+.. Just not sure if i want to drop it in..

Moneypitt
    From years of experience I will tell you to, 1) if the 350 Olds is a runner, run it. Get your feet wet on this project little at a time. 2) Plan on fixing the 455. With advise here, and the aftermarket stuff out there, you can build a "more bang for the buck" around what you already have. I say that because, as an example, you'll pay over 2 or 3 times what you paid for the boat just for the Chevy exhaust!!!, then still need the engine mounts, drive, and accessory mounts. 3) Go to the local boating lake/river. Watch the Olds powered stuff run all day, while the "fast" Chevys are on the trailer, broken, or at least being worked on. True there are exceptions to that, but a solid built Olds will give you years of enjoyment. 4) Take the boat for what it is. Have fun. Don't try to make it something it's not............BTW, I have a 69 Tahiti, love it, but wish I had an OLDS 455..........
    If you really want to use the 383 in a boat, buy yourself a little flatbottom v drive. The 383 lacks low end torque to use in a jet, whereas the 455 is a torque monster.........Just my .02...........MP