Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck steering cable

obnoxious001
    Working on my Baker that has been sitting a couple (er,, few,, maybe several) years now, one of the steering cables is good and stuck. Been spraying WD 40, PB Blaster, and carb cleaner in the tube for a few weeks hoping to get it to free up, can't even remove the cable to replace it.
    Anybody got any special tricks to get it free? I even pulled the bracket off the end and rigged a chain and slide hammer to try and get it to move, realizing that if I hammer it further into the tube, I may get it jambed worse?

Towndrunk
    Working on my Baker that has been sitting a couple (er,, few,, maybe several) years now, one of the steering cables is good and stuck. Been spraying WD 40, PB Blaster, and carb cleaner in the tube for a few weeks hoping to get it to free up, can't even remove the cable to replace it.
    Anybody got any special tricks to get it free? I even pulled the bracket off the end and rigged a chain and slide hammer to try and get it to move, realizing that if I hammer it further into the tube, I may get it jambed worse?
    If it's that bad replace it all. Cabelas NFB steering is fairly good for the price.

obnoxious001
    If it's that bad replace it all. Cabelas NFB steering is fairly good for the price.
    That might be good advice if I was able to remove the cable, but the end is stuck in the tube. Actually the cable is still working.

kylesbds
    Same thing happened to mine youll probally have to ruin the cable but use a sledge and like a piece of rebar or a 1/2" extention. It will come out with a little pursuation.

badluck
    I have a dual cable set up from my stoker.Make me an offer.It's for a merc 2.5.

obnoxious001
    I have a dual cable set up from my stoker.Make me an offer.It's for a merc 2.5.
    What type of helm is it, rotary or rack?
    The big problem still remains, if I can't free up the cable end, I can't replace it.

obnoxious001
    Same thing happened to mine youll probally have to ruin the cable but use a sledge and like a piece of rebar or a 1/2" extention. It will come out with a little pursuation.
    Been trying to get it free without destroying the cable, since the cable is still currently workable, but guess I need to see if I have something that fits in the tube so I can take a few whacks at it.

Forkin' Crazy
    Been trying to get it free without destroying the cable, since the cable is still currently workable, but guess I need to see if I have something that fits in the tube so I can take a few whacks at it.
    The tubes are the same diameter as far as I know. Try to twist the cable with a pipe wrench or something similar.

badluck
    Not sure, what's the difference?

obnoxious001
    The tubes are the same diameter as far as I know. Try to twist the cable with a pipe wrench or something similar.
    Hmm,, good idea, but tried that and the whole tube turns, looks like I am heading towards force. I did find that I have an old cable end, may cut a slot in it to slide over the cable part and see if I can knock the thing out of the tube.
    Any other ideas? I have heard of heating with a torch,, but figure I will have a grease fire at the very least, and also don't want to damage the casting or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast