Thread: Feelin like a fortunate jackass...

beever_retreever
    FYI (this isn't the Trick Powerboat beaver retriever)
    almost lost it saturday afternoon at the sandbar. anchored out at the edge. about 3pm and i was drunk. jumped in to grab an empty can and a chip bag that flew out of the trash. got them and was maybe 15-20ft from the boat and started struggling against the current on the way back. started to panic when i couldn't keep above the wakes and was fighting the current . A lady on another boat sees me and jumps in and grabs me. drug me about 5 feet and i was able to stand. i thanked her countless times over and again. never got her name but thank god she was there cuz i had that "oh shit" sense in my head. Drinking was the factor, period. She saved my life.
    got back home tonight and was asleep for a few minutes and i had a flashback and woke up pouring sweat gasping for air.
    I didn't beer bong or shotgun, didn't mix hard stuff, didn't 420, It didn't matter. I was impaired and I made a terrible judgement and I almost paid dearly for it. That lady was my guardian angel.
    I've been going to the river since 91 and this was the only time i honestly knew i was in serious trouble. only and last. it's 2 am and i still can't sleep.

hoolign
    FYI (this isn't the Trick Powerboat beaver retriever)
    almost lost it saturday afternoon at the sandbar. anchored out at the edge. about 3pm and i was drunk. jumped in to grab an empty can and a chip bag that flew out of the trash. got them and was maybe 15-20ft from the boat and started struggling against the current on the way back. started to panic when i couldn't keep above the wakes and was fighting the current . A lady on another boat sees me and jumps in and grabs me. drug me about 5 feet and i was able to stand. i thanked her countless times over and again. never got her name but thank god she was there cuz i had that "oh shit" sense in my head. Drinking was the factor, period. She saved my life.
    got back home tonight and was asleep for a few minutes and i had a flashback and woke up pouring sweat gasping for air.
    I didn't beer bong or shotgun, didn't mix hard stuff, didn't 420, It didn't matter. I was impaired and I made a terrible judgement and I almost paid dearly for it. That lady was my guardian angel.
    I've been going to the river since 91 and this was the only time i honestly knew i was in serious trouble. only and last. it's 2 am and i still can't sleep.
    Lucky!

Glad you are safe.
    Been in that situation a few times, not necessarily shitfaced drunk but nonetheless... The most important thing is to not panic. And know how to swim well or be wearing a life jacket. It amazes me the number of people I've encounted at the river over the years that don't swim well or at all or are afraid of the water. Don't fight the current, you will lose every time. And don't be afraid to call for help if someone is around. Simply swim towards shore as the current takes you downstream. You may not end up where you wanted to be when you reach shore but you will end up alive. Again glad you're safe but you can't count on someone always being around to pull you in.

hoolign
    Glad you are safe.
    Been in that situation a few times, not necessarily shitfaced drunk but nonetheless... The most important is to not panic. And know how to swim well or be wearing a life jacket. It amazes me the number of people I've encounted at the river over the years that don't swim well or at all or are afraid of the water. Don't fight the current, you will lose every time. And don't be afraid to call for help if someone is around. Simply swim towards shore as the current takes you downstream. You may not end up where you wanted to be when you reach shore but you will end up alive. Again glad you're safe but you can't count on someone always being around to pull you in.
    You should listen to Rex! He played "Flipper"in the sequal

RitcheyRch
    Glad to hear you are safe. I have been in the same situation. hard to judge the current at times.

centerhill condor
    same thing happened to me at a b'day party...I was 6 or 7...how do you get a girl to love you after she's saves your drownin' ass!?
    Glad to read you lived! make note to self...keep the trash tied down when you get torn down.
    CC

phebus
    If your that much of a drunk, and that poor of a swimmer, I suggest you wear your life vest while drinking.

Baja Big Dog
    WOW..it gets worse when you sit back and realize what could HAVE happened!!!
    YIKES!!!
    Did yo get in the chicks pants???? Hey someone had to ask!!

Ms.Havasu
    Glad you are o.k. I've seen simular situations at the sand bar several times. Like Rex said. Best to go with the current and swim toward the bar(shore) then to fight the current and try and swim back to your boat. We are all human and mistakes happen.
    Kuddos to you for admitting it. Maybe you just saved someone elses life.
    Keep safe,
    Michele