Thread: Who's in Insurance?

SUBPRIME
    Well I was trying to ride out this whole mortgage mess but I think it's time to look into doing something else. I posted my resume on all the spots looking for a outside sales position and I've had more interest from insurance jobs than all other industry's put together. I'm getting ready to go on some second interviews with a couple of these Ins. company's, I'm looking for someone who works in the industry already that I could bounce a couple questions off of.
    PM me thanks
    Thanks

Wmc
    cole trickle on the boards owns an insurance company.

HM
    I own a small insurance agency (and a small mortgage brokerage). I specialize in investment grade life insurance and annuities. I can tell you the whole mortgage industry implosion is not just affecting mortgages. My business has really changed in the last year....and for the better. I am only able to work with people who have money outside of their homes...which is good as I need fairly savvy individuals to work with and who are disciplined. I was doing some equity repositioning and just about everyone of my clients that only had home equity to work with are in serious trouble because they didn't follow the savings plan and decided to either spend the money or leverage it into real estate in which they had no experience.
    I think health and casualty insurance are fairly stable markets. The mortgage insurance business is very slow right now.
    There are some accelerated mortgage pay off programs that look like they are doing well. You sell software instead of a mortgage. It is an easy sell as most people want to pay off their mortgage ASAP. Commission is decent as well.

Super D
    Hey Subprime,
    I've been on my own in insurance (and other employee benefit plans, non-insurance) for the past 4 years - I could definitely fill you in on my experiences, suggestions, etc. Feel free to pm or contact me via phone or email. You can also check out my website at www.benefitprosinc.com
    I also have a couple mortgage co's as clients if you are interested in submitting another resume...
    Good Luck!

EmpirE231
    I do insurance, personal casualty lines... like home, auto, rv etc. and some individual health.
    are you looking more into the company side? such as an underwriter.. adjuster? or marketing rep? or an agent? :idea:

SUBPRIME
    so far the positions have been agent, and another company that wants me to go after company's employee benefits, but I guess you go through brokers some way... haven't quite figured all the dynamics, each company I've interviewed with has been a different market and strategy...

INSman
    so far the positions have been agent, and another company that wants me to go after company's employee benefits, but I guess you go through brokers some way... haven't quite figured all the dynamics, each company I've interviewed with has been a different market and strategy...
    I have been on the brokerage side for 20 years now, and ALL is good. Basically a recession proof business. You won't be a financial hero over night, but you can't turn into a zero overnight either. Residual income is a great thing..

SUBPRIME
    Hey Subprime,
    I've been on my own in insurance (and other employee benefit plans, non-insurance) for the past 4 years - I could definitely fill you in on my experiences, suggestions, etc. Feel free to pm or contact me via phone or email. You can also check out my website at www.benefitprosinc.com
    I also have a couple mortgage co's as clients if you are interested in submitting another resume...
    Good Luck!
    PM Sent

socalmofo
    Insurance has always interested me as well. I'm trying to get my girlfriend to do it. Where is a good place to go to get licensed. Do you just find a company when you have your license and start selling? Somewhat similar to real estate?

hazard
    I'm a rep at a large carrier that does group benefits (employee benefits) for larger companies all over the nation. We do Healthcare, dental, Life, Accident and Disability.
    You can PM me if you have any questions about my specific field!