Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Need handgun advice

Magic34
    I want to purchase a .40 handgun in the near future. My main purpose is for security when at home and/or when traveling in the truck and in the forest on the Rhino.
    I will probably do some recreational shooting at a range 2-3 times per year.
    I plan on have 2 different safes. 1 for the gun and 1 for the ammo. They will be on the highest shelf in the house, and locked in the safe any time when not in actual use. The only way my kids coudl get to it is to pull out a 6 foot ladder, know exactly where to go since you cant see it from the top of the shelp (fairly deep), and know the codes to each safe. I'm want to be as safe as possible.
    What suggestions do yo have with which make/model to get? The more safety the better. I will also probably install that tactical flash light on it as well. What I didn't like about the glocks is that the safety was in the trigger. Didn't feel safe is it got into the wrong hands.
    I dont need the biggest and baddest gun either. 1 that shoots straigt at a good distance and is easy to handle. I want the best for the money.
    Any other safety/handling suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

MR HARLEY
    Any of the Springfield Armory XD models.
    Own 2 of them (.40) and (.45 compact) planning on getting my 3rd in a few weeks here, Sub-compact 9mm.

ChumpChange
    I just called up my buddy at LAPD this weekend for the same reason. I'll get the 45 as always wanted but at the same time get a 9 for the wife's use when I'm not home.

AZJD
    I want to purchase a .40 handgun in the near future. My main purpose is for security when at home and/or when traveling in the truck and in the forest on the Rhino.
    I will probably do some recreational shooting at a range 2-3 times per year.
    I plan on have 2 different safes. 1 for the gun and 1 for the ammo. They will be on the highest shelf in the house, and locked in the safe any time when not in actual use. The only way my kids coudl get to it is to pull out a 6 foot ladder, know exactly where to go since you cant see it from the top of the shelp (fairly deep), and know the codes to each safe. I'm want to be as safe as possible.
    What suggestions do yo have with which make/model to get? The more safety the better. I will also probably install that tactical flash light on it as well. What I didn't like about the glocks is that the safety was in the trigger. Didn't feel safe is it got into the wrong hands.
    I dont need the biggest and baddest gun either. 1 that shoots straigt at a good distance and is easy to handle. I want the best for the money.
    Any other safety/handling suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Go to the Scottsdale gun club and start shooting. All guns are different, and some cater to people differently. Find what is comfortable for you. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Jbb
    Colt 1991 A1......45..........and a triggerlock...

AZJD
    I just called up my buddy at LAPD this weekend for the same reason. I'll get the 45 as always wanted but at the same time get a 9 for the wife's use when I'm not home.
    Wife should be shooting a .45
    A 9mm won't stop a tweaker that is hellbent on harming her.

mondorally
    Unless you've made up your mind on the .40, I would seriously consider getting a revolver.
    A) For home defense it never jams, no fumbling with mags in the night, no issues with mag springs getting weak from lack of use, and (especially the hammerless ones) extremely simple to use.
    B) You can load them with snake shot for the Rhino trips.
    -Justin

EmpirE231
    make sure you don't take the same safety course this guy did
    http://break.com/index/shooter-almos...cameraman.html (rick roll safe)

Froggystyle
    I couldn't recommend an H&K USP .45 full frame any higher. I have shot lots of guns, and for your purpose it absolutely cannot be beat.
    It has a rail integrated system for a tac-light in front, they make a red-dot laser for the recoil spring tube, it has an awesome safety/de-cocking lever, has the best tactical triger pull on the market and a great break. Not to mention, they actually have a magazine lockout in the rear (which I hate on the new guns) that prevent mags from even being loaded without a key. Good kid-safety item.
    .45 cal is slower than a .40 or a 9mm, and has less penetrating power for use in the home. Home protection rounds are available readily for them, and you can essentially put birdshot in the first three rounds and step up to truncated-cone hollowpoints after that. It is also +P compatible for shooting TZZ rounds or Israeli loads. Federal makes a Hydra-shok that has a 230 grain bullet that is shooting over 900 fps off the shelf. Massive, massive impact and damage and greatly increased hydrostatic damage with that large of a round at that speed. Considering that the average .45 rounds is in the 150 grain range and 700 fps this is huge.

Run_em_Hard
    Well my question to you Magic34 is what are you going to do if someone breaks into your house and your gun is locked up away from the ammo? Are you going to ask the perp to give you 5 minutes to load your gun so you can shoot his ass? I am not trying to be a dick just trying to make you think
    Mabey gun saftey should be a little higher on peoples minds instead of where a good place to hide them from the kids would be?:idea:

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast