Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Need handgun advice

Cole Trickle
    Yeah, but if you bought it last year, you would have had it nearly a year by now...
    lol.....I didn't want it last year

gramps
    "If I bought it today I wouldn't have it for 10 days ................"
    One of the things I like about Utah, I can walk in the store buy any gun (not fully auto) and carry it out. NO WAITING period for permit holders.

Run_em_Hard
    "If I bought it today I wouldn't have it for 10 days ................"
    One of the things I like about Utah, I can walk in the store buy any gun (not fully auto) and carry it out. NO WAITING period for permit holders.
    I agree gramps, Utah does have its perks

boats&bars
    Take a look at the Sig P-229 its a nice piece

Mrs.Moose on the loose
    Well only my opinion, but Moose bought me a 357 Smith & Wesson 6 inch barrel.. I love it and I am very comfortable with it, more so than a Automatic. They sometimes require more thinking in a Emergency. I pack it when I travel, when I go hunting I always have it on my side, and I do use 38's and or 357 shells. Depending on where I am using it at, The 357 shells have a much bigger punch.
    As far as the children, we have two daughters, teenagers now, but since birth they have been raised around guns, since we hunt and all. I do beleive in Gun Safes and trigger locks though. But I have never had our girls ever touch them unless they have asked and now that they are older, there aim is dead on.. .
    Take her out and let her shoot both and let her decide what she would feel more comfortable with.
    Only my own opinion. Good luck, also another thing is have her and you both take classes and make a point once a week to go to the range.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    I'd agree with the revolver. I have a hammerless 38. It's small enough I can put it in my pack when riding in the mountains and it's a point and shoot situation in the even the wife needs to use it. I also have a Ruger 9 which I really like too. It is just too big to lug around while riding a bike in the mountains.
    Gugs
    I have a hammerless 38 and after shooting my friends 9mm, I don't care to ever shoot my 38 again.

Froggystyle
    Out of curiosity, why is everyone so into the hammerless guns? I know they are great for concealed carry so you don't snag your shirt when you draw, but it seems to be important to you guys for different reasons than that. The ease of use is pretty much the same, as is the reliability... but you don't get the option of single action, which can really, really, REALLY increase accuracy on a wheel gun.
    Why the hammerless?

Kilrtoy
    Out of curiosity, why is everyone so into the hammerless guns? I know they are great for concealed carry so you don't snag your shirt when you draw, but it seems to be important to you guys for different reasons than that. The ease of use is pretty much the same, as is the reliability... but you don't get the option of single action, which can really, really, REALLY increase accuracy on a wheel gun.
    Why the hammerless?
    they dont want to be hammered when shooting

mondorally
    Why the hammerless?
    My only thoughts were to further simplify the gun. Throw in some combination of nervousness & inexperience and I could see someone cocking a wheelgun for that Dirty Harry effect to only have it go BOOM when decocking it.
    -Justin

LOWRIVER2
    Froggy, DA revolvers were designed primarily for back up/2nd gun use, hence the "snag" factor.
    The majority of the times you would utilize the gun will be when you are already in an active firefight and most likely it will be a CQB situation.
    As you stated earlier, there's A LOT going on in the events leading up to an armed confrontation. Cocking the hammer is just one more step that could complicate things for someone who does not do extensive training with a handgun. Our revolvers (hammered included) have been neutered since the early 80's, mostly due to unintentional discharges.
    While single action in a revolver is nice, most times a homeowner is going to be shooting in a room in a house which limits your field down to 7 yards and less. Most should be able to hit the ten ring with a little practice in DA mode.
    As for Beretta's, they are POS. I had some Marines on a ride along Sat. night and their M-9's are starting to do what our dept. 92's did several years ago. We issue Glock 22's. 21's are for those in the know. 9mm are for those that like to watch suspects continue to shoot, attack after getting hit several times. Too many incidents in my shop, other deptment's to prove it.
    In pistols remember,
    It's all about size of the bullet, hole it makes. Hydrostatic shock really is'nt an issue with hand guns. The speed of the 9mm limits it's effectivness in creating a good blood channel. Shoot some gelatin blocks to see the difference. It's all about making a hole to let the blood out/ slow down the attacker. Broken bones are an added bonus.
    Our 185 JHP's have an outstanding record. Nothing's perfect. We had a guy take 4 of these in the ten ring, go down, and then sit up and fire again. Three more to the temple stopped that threat.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast