Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Need handgun advice

Froggystyle
    Cocking the hammer is just one more step that could complicate things for someone who does not do extensive training with a handgun.
    Yeah, but who would cock it? I have never been in any course of fire in which one of the instructions was "cock the hammer". Any instinctive fire COF is going to assume, as you have mentioned that you are pulling the gun and firing, in which case you are shooting DA anyway.
    Nobody ever won a decocking contest... or a holstering contest for that matter. I have never understood the rush to de-cock or holster, or why you would AD as a result.
    If I bought a wheelgun, it would likely be a hammerless, but only because I would CC it and would prefer not to have a snag on it. Home defense... I would probably prefer something with a hammer so range time is more useful and breeds better skills. After all, once you pull the trigger you are in double action again any way...

Froggystyle
    We had a guy take 4 of these in the ten ring, go down, and then sit up and fire again. Three more to the temple stopped that threat.
    That's one of a hundred reasons I could never be a cop. Of the first four shots, two would have been in the head anyway, and one would have been considered a "security" round...
    When I bought the Cor-Bon +p rounds for Audrey's .45, the guy in the range saw that Aud was practicing mozambique drills and casually informed her that a Cor-Bon +P hit so hard that you would have a tough time finding a second piece big enough to aim at after the first shot.

MudPumper
    Yeah, but who would cock it? I have never been in any course of fire in which one of the instructions was "cock the hammer". Any instinctive fire COF is going to assume, as you have mentioned that you are pulling the gun and firing, in which case you are shooting DA anyway.
    Uncle Scotty Reitz would and he teaches a course of fire where you do. Hostage situation where you need to make a quick head shot. Granted Froggy, you could probably make that shot with a 2inch at 50 meters but you arent the norm when it comes to gunfighting.
    Nobody ever won a decocking contest... or a holstering contest for that matter. I have never understood the rush to de-cock or holster, or why you would AD as a result.
    Exactly.

Kilrtoy
    but you arent the norm when it comes to gunfighting.
    Exactly.
    Its about time someones else realizes this

Froggystyle
    Granted Froggy, you could probably make that shot with a 2inch at 50 meters but you arent the norm when it comes to gunfighting.
    Actually, I am not that great of a target marksman. I mean, I shot expert and such, and to get into the kill house you need to put rounds through a 3x5 card at 50 with the pistol and your MP5 in quick fire, but I am a WAY better instinctive fire/active fire shooter than target. Head plates, chest plates, poppers, runners, movers etc... I am better than average even for SEALs, but I struggled to score expert on target practice. My groups aren't that tight, and you need to be hitting a lot of 10's to score expert.
    Now rifle is a different story...

LOWRIVER2
    I did'nt mention the whole scenario Wes,
    Two C PLATOON METRO MEN working crime suppression, see a known gang member on a skateboard, as they approach in car, he sees them, grabs his waistband (officers make out the butt of a handgun), and starts running. Officers un ass the shop, begin pursuit, suspect turns mid stride and fires three rounds from 25 feet. Officers, in stride, fire the four rounds. Any good gun fighter knows that hits targeted in the center mass are best when SHOOTING ON THE MOVE (all four rounds hit 9/10 ring). Suspect takes the hits, continues running around the corner of a garage. As officers go to slow approach and PIE the corner, suspect (laying on back) pops up and begins shooting again, is neutralized.
    A failure drill is well known with two to mass, one to head. Watch the movie with Cruise in LA and know he was taught by Scott Reitz . I'm proud to have worked in his platoon/ was a lot of fun shoot days/ off duty times with "Mr. Guiness".
    Gunfighting is simple but VERY PERISHABLE. You're only as good as your last day shooting for sure.

BADBLOWN572
    No matter what gun you buy, anyone who is going to have access to the gun should go to the range and put at least 1,000 rounds through it. Get comfortable with the gun & know what to expect when you pull the trigger.

Froggystyle
    Watch the movie with Cruise in LA and know he was taught by Scott Reitz .
    Homie got your briefcase?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKR6evZRQQ
    Gunfighting is simple but VERY PERISHABLE. You're only as good as your last day shooting for sure.
    Well, my last day was pretty good. The six years since has probably taken a little of the edge off though...

Bense468
    Shooting trap at prado in an hour or so.

Dave C
    You mean this? its comes in 9mm, 40 and 45... I will check this one out. Thanks
    http://www.hk-usa.com/images/product...arge_right.jpg
    The sub-compact H&K 9mm is very, very "transportable" ( ) Especially if you chose to "transport" it in a holster in the small of your back. Great safety, de-cocking lever and strong trigger pull make it a phenomenal weapon, and lots of composite materials make it light and agile. Fits nice in your hand too...
    Couldn't find this on their website? Which is it? Smith and Wesson?
    Smith J frame, you can have it in your front pocket and no one will know its there.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast