Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Need handgun advice

disco_charger
    Unless you've made up your mind on the .40, I would seriously consider getting a revolver.
    A) For home defense it never jams, no fumbling with mags in the night, no issues with mag springs getting weak from lack of use, and (especially the hammerless ones) extremely simple to use.
    B) You can load them with snake shot for the Rhino trips.
    -Justin
    This is excellent advice.

Mohave Vice
    I've been very happy with my HK USP .40. For home we designate wheel guns (revolver) .38, .357 and 12 guage

Baja Big Dog
    On a budget, get the Ruger, no budget, get the Sig. I would avoid the Springfields, IM old fashion, I like a hammer that I can see. Get the decocker models, regardless of what you get shoot them and have fun, and join the NRA!!!!!
    If you have kids, take them and teach them, take them to the same saftey courses, let them shoot and let them know guns are not only for killing, they can be fun!!!

ChumpChange
    Wife should be shooting a .45
    A 9mm won't stop a tweaker that is hellbent on harming her.
    The sound of the slide cocking generally gets them out of the house.

2Driver
    I got the Glock model 23 after a bunch of research. It's a 40 caliber in a compact but not subcompact size. It is just a great gun. I have gotten it totally filthy and it shoots like new. Same carry as a lot of LE.
    Come up when you are free and we will go out by my place an shoot a box or 2. I just saw a the desert camo color at Cabelas and it is really cool.
    BTW: Bring the vinyl cleaner with you
    http://www.glockworld.com/glock_compact.htm#glock23
    The .40 caliber defense rounds are good for lion, bear, assclowns. If an intruder comes in your house just get your family in a secure room and lock it. When the intruder starts to turn the door knob from the other side off load a mag into the door at various heights. Wait for thud sound then open to find stopped intruder.

cdog
    Check out the Springfield Armory XD. I'd get a 9mm for your first hand gun. The XD comes with a case,lock,2mags,holster,loader and a mag holster. Sportmans wherehouse has them for $450-500. Get comfortable with the 9mm then go to a 45 or 10mm. Judging by your other toys I'd bet 5 years from now you'll have an arsinal. Welcome to the sickness.
    Glocks are also great. My first handgun was my G17. Don't pay attention to the blowhards about the 9mm being underpowered. Shotplacement is key and the 9mm is a easy to use cal. with cheap ammo.

Cole Trickle
    Any of the Springfield Armory XD models.
    Own 2 of them (.40) and (.45 compact) planning on getting my 3rd in a few weeks here, Sub-compact 9mm.
    Agreed...
    I shot djunkies .40 last winter and really liked it. Very comfortable and I like the grip safety.
    It also wasn't too much for Jen. (Not like the .357 long barell she shot...lol)
    I will be picking one up soon

Magic34
    Well my question to you Magic34 is what are you going to do if someone breaks into your house and your gun is locked up away from the ammo? Are you going to ask the perp to give you 5 minutes to load your gun so you can shoot his ass? I am not trying to be a dick just trying to make you think
    Mabey gun saftey should be a little higher on peoples minds instead of where a good place to hide them from the kids would be?:idea:
    In all my life, there have only been 2 times where I have felt a need to own a gun.
    Both times, I would have ample time to get a gun out of the closet, 60 seconds plus. Secondly, in a situation like that where I felt I needed it, that extra times allowed me to thourghly calculate all of my options.
    If someone sneaks into my home, they have 2 great danes to get passed. The dogs can slow them up for a minute.
    I would have an additional clip stashed somewhere I could access it quickly, but it would be hidden well and only known to me.
    Trust me, I am not going with the mentality of hiding it so my kids cant find it, but if there is an extra step of safety I can take, it will be done.

Magic34
    Agreed...
    I shot djunkies .40 last winter and really liked it. Very comfortable and I like the grip safety.
    It also wasn't too much for Jen. (Not like the .357 long barell she shot...lol)
    I will be picking one up soon
    Group buy. I'll work the deal

OGShocker
    I LOVE my XD-45! (http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php) Hi-Cap .45 you cannot beat it!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast