Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Need handgun advice

AZJD
    This is my exact thoughts. Actually, we have done that, without the gun though. People were banging on my door and someone was in the backyard. I stayed silent so we didn't give our position up in the house. Locked ourselves in the closet and called 911. Flashlights were shining through my windows and all. I have never been so scared.
    In the end, it was the cops anyways. Someone reported see 2 people go in my backyard and the police responded. Now, in the end this was a happy story, but what if they wanted to come in and beat the police there?
    I have always said that anyone entering my house will be leaving on a gourney. This is a decision that has to be made under extreme preassure. You need to be in control at all times and not afraid. I have no hesitations with shooting an intruder, or someone who intends to do harm to me or my family. That being said, you cannot be trigger happy.
    Imagine shooting a few rounds out the windows at one of those officers.....
    It is a fine line between being scared and protection. You have to be totally sure before you pull the trigger. I could live with killing a bad guy, but not a drunk friend that decided they needed to crash on your porch for the night.
    I had a buddies girlfriend come to the house looking for him at 3am. She knocked and I didn't hear it so she came to the side gate by my bedroom. I woke, saw the shadow, unholstered and went into protect mode. She came to the back door as I was coming around the corner. This whole time I don't know who it is, just that someone is in my backyard. She then tries the door knob, at which time the safety comes off. Locked! An arm comes through my dog door, reaching for the door knob! Finger on the trigger and ready to fire. I am standing there ready to fire, trying to decide weather or not to wait for the door to open or put a few through the door, when she says, "don't shoot!" I hear the girls voice and she says, "it's me *******!" I was pissed! I was also relieved! I had just about shot a friend..........
    It will make you think twice about just unleashing a few rounds with out visual confirmation.

eliminatedsprinter
    I had a Sig Saur 229 in .40 for several years (it was stolen from my home) and I practice shot with it 3-4 days a week and for about a year I shot in monthly practical shooting matches at my pistol club. It was a fine gun and it shot well, but it was not the super fantastic gun that the gun mags made it out to be. It shot no better han a glock (and not quite as well as my Springfield 1911A1) and when the slide got a bit dry or a bit dirty it was prone to jam. It is not a gun that you can just leave in a lock box for home defense. Unless you want to shoot and or lube the slide often, you are better off with a revolver.

Froggystyle
    Finger on the trigger and ready to fire. I am standing there ready to fire, trying to decide weather or not to wait for the door to open or put a few through the door, when she says, "don't shoot!" I hear the girls voice and she says, "it's me Jordy!" I was pissed! I was also relieved! I had just about shot a friend..........
    It will make you think twice about just unleashing a few rounds with out visual confirmation.

eliminatedsprinter
    P.S.
    After owning 3 Sigs (I still have a 228 and a 230) and shooting most everything else. If I was starting out all over, and I wanted simi autos, I would just get Glocks (those funny squarish grips fit well in my hand and they are very reliable) and for home defense I would get a Colt Python, since it is a reliable revolver and it has the sweetist out of the box, stock, double action trigger pull I have felt.

CMac
    Going to IDPA shoot tonight. Come try my Kimber and Sig's.

Cole Trickle
    I have always said that anyone entering my house will be leaving on a gourney. This is a decision that has to be made under extreme preassure. You need to be in control at all times and not afraid. I have no hesitations with shooting an intruder, or someone who intends to do harm to me or my family. That being said, you cannot be trigger happy.
    Imagine shooting a few rounds out the windows at one of those officers.....
    It is a fine line between being scared and protection. You have to be totally sure before you pull the trigger. I could live with killing a bad guy, but not a drunk friend that decided they needed to crash on your porch for the night.
    I had a buddies girlfriend come to the house looking for him at 3am. She knocked and I didn't hear it so she came to the side gate by my bedroom. I woke, saw the shadow, unholstered and went into protect mode. She came to the back door as I was coming around the corner. This whole time I don't know who it is, just that someone is in my backyard. She then tries the door knob, at which time the safety comes off. Locked! An arm comes through my dog door, reaching for the door knob! Finger on the trigger and ready to fire. I am standing there ready to fire, trying to decide weather or not to wait for the door to open or put a few through the door, when she says, "don't shoot!" I hear the girls voice and she says, "it's me *******!" I was pissed! I was also relieved! I had just about shot a friend..........
    Thats scary.....
    I don't know what I would have done since I don't have un invited drunk girls showing up at my house in the middle of the night...lol
    What was she wearing?
    I installed sensor lights on both sides of my house and you would have to be in my back yard for them to go off. I probably would have instructed said person that I was holding a live firearm and that i have been trained to use it and that they need to speak up to avoid being considered a threat.

Magic34
    Thats scary.....
    I don't know what I would have done since I don't have un invited drunk girls showing up at my house in the middle of the night...lol
    What was she wearing?
    I installed sensor lights on both sides of my house and you would have to be in my back yard for them to go off. I probably would have instructed said person that I was holding a live firearm and that i have been trained to use it and that they need to speak up to avoid being considered a threat.
    That was my problem with the night I thought someone was trying to get in. I would have taken an approach like that as long as I had something in my hand to protect myself. I didn't and it was a helpless feeling.

STV_Keith
    A few expletives and a warning that you are armed would probably get an intruder to flee (thwarting the need to shoot) or a friend to start screaming who they are.

Cole Trickle
    That was my problem with the night I thought someone was trying to get in. I would have taken an approach like that as long as I had something in my hand to protect myself. I didn't and it was a helpless feeling.
    Sick the scorpions on them!!!!:jawdrop: :sqeyes:

2Driver
    Also, since your wife can back a trailer down the ramp she should be able to handle a gun.
    I took my wife for an evening lesson and shooting session with this group and she had a lot of fun. http://www.azwsa.com/
    She was pretty jacked after the session and learned not to be so apprehensive around a gun. We didn't join the club as we are not that into it, but she can get her permit through them ( you too I guess) and get some good advice and sessions in.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast