Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Need handgun advice

Froggystyle
    I probably would have instructed said person that I was holding a live firearm and that i have been trained to use it and that they need to speak up to avoid being considered a threat.
    "Car 91.. Do you need my assistance?"

PaPaG
    I like the Sig Pro in .40
    Forget about security @ home...by the time you get through your security--if you needed!---whatever would be over--- in LESS THAN A MINUTE !
    Take the cc course.
    Exactly what he said

rivercrazy
    If you go the revolver route, I'd go with a 357 magnum. With a 125 grain hollowpoint, its the #1 rated one-shot stopper on the market in the ligher handgun segment.
    Personally, I like 9MM for semi autos. With a cor-bon +P+ round, its proven to be very effective. And recoil versus a 45 or 40 is easier to handle. This equates to more acccuracy.
    I like the Berreta personally. Its not that expense, very accurate, and has excellent trigger pull characteristics.

Screaming Pete
    everyone recommands what they are familer with and thats cool, i would go to a gun store and handle and many as you can because they all feel different and you have to get what fits your hand the best. my .02

GUGS102
    I second this one.... a hammerless revolver is the best, next to a shot gun of course.... but a revolver is the best home defense gun..... and if you ever need to kill somebody.... you do not have to worry about leaving shell casings behind:devil:
    I'd agree with the revolver. I have a hammerless 38. It's small enough I can put it in my pack when riding in the mountains and it's a point and shoot situation in the even the wife needs to use it. I also have a Ruger 9 which I really like too. It is just too big to lug around while riding a bike in the mountains.
    Gugs

Kilrtoy
    Unless you've made up your mind on the .40, I would seriously consider getting a revolver.
    A) For home defense it never jams, no fumbling with mags in the night, no issues with mag springs getting weak from lack of use, and (especially the hammerless ones) extremely simple to use.
    B) You can load them with snake shot for the Rhino trips.
    -Justin
    That is the best advice on here

Baja Big Dog
    Is the wife shooting? Go with the revolver, .357 for more flexibility.
    I used to sell the "Ultimate home defence load" sold them and people loved them, they were a Speer 150 gr wad cutter, .357 case, with the large hole for fire control on the bottom, this round turned around turned into a huge hollow point. Its claim to fame was it wouldn't go through a 2X4, and if you had kids in the house it was comforting knowing that a stray round had less chance of hurting someone not intended to be the target. But when it hit a mass (human body) the huge hollow point would open up and put a huge hurt on the target (the scum bag!).

Magic34
    Sick the scorpions on them!!!!:jawdrop: :sqeyes:
    I picked up a new blacklight and the past 4 nights, I have killed probably 35-40 total.
    The bug man sucks. I am on my own killing spree. I'll take video one night.

Kilrtoy
    I have always said that anyone entering my house will be leaving on a gourney. This is a decision that has to be made under extreme preassure. You need to be in control at all times and not afraid. I have no hesitations with shooting an intruder, or someone who intends to do harm to me or my family. That being said, you cannot be trigger happy.
    Imagine shooting a few rounds out the windows at one of those officers.....
    It is a fine line between being scared and protection. You have to be totally sure before you pull the trigger. I could live with killing a bad guy, but not a drunk friend that decided they needed to crash on your porch for the night.
    I had a buddies girlfriend come to the house looking for him at 3am. She knocked and I didn't hear it so she came to the side gate by my bedroom. I woke, saw the shadow, unholstered and went into protect mode. She came to the back door as I was coming around the corner. This whole time I don't know who it is, just that someone is in my backyard. She then tries the door knob, at which time the safety comes off. Locked! An arm comes through my dog door, reaching for the door knob! Finger on the trigger and ready to fire. I am standing there ready to fire, trying to decide weather or not to wait for the door to open or put a few through the door, when she says, "don't shoot!" I hear the girls voice and she says, "it's me *******!" I was pissed! I was also relieved! I had just about shot a friend..........
    It will make you think twice about just unleashing a few rounds with out visual confirmation.
    That statement tells me you dont have what it takes, you just think you do.

juicy noodle
    No matter what you buy, you have to be confident and know your weapon. After testing several models and making your purchase, I highly recommend going to a range more than 2-3 times a year. I have seen several law enforcement shootings under high stress that result in nobody being hit.
    These are from cops with various years and training.
    If you are going to have a weapon in the house, everyone should be qualified in the use of it, and also understand the danger. Several accidents happen because the parents don't take the time to teach their children.
    As for safety, if your weapon is in a safe with a trigger lock there should be no worry, as long as junior does not have access to the weapons without supervision. For those that criticize that kids get into everything, maybe need to control their safe combo/keys a little better, and teach the kid the respect needed.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast